Old gasoline

Page 1 of 2
I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?
if the container was tight and there's no 2 cycle oil in it, the gas may be in better condition than you might think. as long as it's clean (no water, etc in the bottom) you can probably use it. test a little of it in a lawnmower or whatever, and i think you'll find that it is usable.
bill

Cant be revived. Its gone bad. If anything you can mix it with fresh gas and run it on lawnmowers snowblowers etc. (would put it into a car, might damage things)
Might not run the best but sometimes it better than dumping.
Otherwise you can use it to kill weeds grass etc along the fence.
Tom
On 7 Nov 2005 18:52:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I found 5 gallons of gas that was 3 to 4 years old buried in my shed this summer. It was just starting to get that "stale gas odor" I dumped it in my farm tractor along with 5 gallons of new gas. No problems at all.

Nah; that'll cause a bunch of bare spots. What you should do is mix it with your booze and drink it yourself.
I put a gallon at a time in my car's nearly full tank. Hasn't hurt it yet.
I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe valve sticking. I recently talked to someone removing heads from an air cooled VW who had done the same thing. It is highly variable, you may very well be able to mix it with fresh fuel and burn it without trouble. Don Young

Add it to your truck next time.
Didn't you mean "add it to your neighbor's truck"?
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
FDR wrote:

You will get all sorts of answers, possibly because of varying conditions but often due to blind prejudice. First 1 year old is not a problem, 2 years old means be careful, 3 years old means be really careful and the best advice is to dump it. If the container is full or nearly, if it wasn't subject to high or warm temperatures for the entire period the gas will be in much better condition that stored in a 1/2 full can and at higher temperatures.
If it really is about 1 year old just added a gallon of it at a time to 18 or more gallons of gas in any vehicle.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

George has it right. My suggestion is to add a little at a time to your car's gas tank. Only do this with a nearly full tank in the car. No more than a gallon at a time, I would use less. Diluted like this will be safe for your car.
Today's gas is better than that of years ago so it will last longer before going bad, which it does just a little at a time.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Retired Navy guy here. When we went on those 6 or more extended tours on a ship, I put my car in storage. I learned the hard way, the gas don't keep that long. 2 things happen. Water forms in the tank from hot/cold cycles from the weather, and the gas breaks down at the chemical level. The car may or may not start upon my arrival home from a 6 or more month tour. If it did run, it ran roughly. Putting "dry gas" additive in the tank helps before storing gasoline that long, but its not perfect still at the end of the time period. Filling the tank reduces the air in the tank, and any corresponding water intrusion as a result. Gas stations that don't do much business should be avoided as these are most likely to have water in their storage tanks. Gasoline will, after stored extensively, turn into a very sloppy, very loose gelatenous mass that no internal combustion engine should ever see, diluted in "good" gas or not.
Other than killing weeds on the fenceline, there's another garden use. If your tomatoes/potato crop location has that contagion that requires at least two years of non-growth to allow the contagion to run its course, then pour the gas in the area. 2 years later, and alls good irregardless.
--
Lil\' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg

garden use. If

requires at least

course, then pour

irregardless.
If you'd eat vegetables grown where gasoline was dumped, MBTE and all, you are a far more "trusting" man than I.
Bob
wrote in message

Why? Edible foods are grown in soil with fertilizers derived from petroleum, or some form of manure everyday. The only difference here between petroleum derived fertilizer and this is that am not paying for it. Mother nature is doing the chemical breakdown of the petroleum product. Just because its not a common practice, doesn't mean its not viable.
Anyone who's done backyard location car work for years in a location in the backyard, then abandoned that location has seen the results from the oil and gasoline waste. Similar to the grass growing greener over a leaky septic tank or leech field. Fenceline waste oil dumping is the same. Takes a couple of years to recover, but the results are the same.
--
Lil\' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
wrote in message

Since you know this to be true, please provide us with the chemical formulas of how gasoline and it's additives become fertilizer.

wrote in message

another
that
its
derived from

difference here

not paying for it.
"Derived from" is not "the same as". And they don't put MTBE in fertilizer. Maybe some plants may grow OK years after such contamination, but that doesn't mean they are good for me to eat. For you, maybe?
Bob
Tomatos grown in gasoline soaked ground... Hummmm!!!
You could always mix it up with fresh two cycle gas a little at a time. No valves to get stuck. Might run a bit crappy though.
I would again mix it either with fresh gas and run it in a lawnmower or
snowblower.
OR
Use it as a nice good weedkiller. Just pour it in small amounts. Enough to kill the grass but not enough to soak in a do some soil damage. You might be even able to use it in a spray bottle to kill the weeds....
On 9 Nov 2005 12:24:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Where do you think fried tomatoes come from?

cousin put some year old gas in his pckup, it was pretty stinky fuel i must say. i told him not to do it, but he was drinking and put the old gas in after i left. next day,his electric fuel pump went out. fixed that,then the fuel injector got plugged. fixed that. then an ex valve stuck open. so ,if you want to put some old gas in your car to get ahead of the curve a few bucks,be my guest. ...when i was in the service, i filled my tank and treated the gas before i left. it worked great. lucas