Old gas converted coal furnace

Hello.
I stumbled on this list while trying to Google search for informatio on coal furnaces that have been converted to gas. My 1917 house ha this situation and it seems to work fine, my issue is I am not all tha familiar with how to understand it. Since it is a converted furnace, cannot just find a standard service manual and work from there.
Any suggestions and/or advice?
In general principal, I think I understand how the forced hot wate system works. There is a lower chamber with the fire burner that heat a reservoir of water. When the water is sufficiently heated, the wate pump forces the water through the system.
Thank you, Chri
-- chrisduf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- chrisduff's Profile: http://homeimprovement.mylounge.us/member.php?userid 79 View this thread: http://homeimprovement.mylounge.us/showthread.php?t200

The burner itself may have a manual or brand name. That would be a start.

Sort of. The thermostat call for heat. The thermostat is essentially a switch and the switch closes and starts the water to circulate. Another thermostat (aquastat actually) senses that the water is not hot enough so that will start the burner. The burner heats the water until the stat says to shut off. Meantime, water is circulating and giving off heat to through the radiators to the house.
This is very simplified and there are other controls, fill haves, safety valves, thermocouples, gas valves that all must work at some point.
You may want to check if for efficiency. It may be possible to save a lot of heating cost with a new boiler. "FWIW, furnaces heat air, boilers heat water or make steam.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/