Old Garage Roof

I have been working on my 60 year-old garage for the past few days and sort of wonder about the A-frame construction that was used. The roof is supported by 2x6's on 16 inch centers. Then there are three 2x4 spans across the garage to form the bottom of the "A" in addition to the tops of the two end walls -- so a span about every five feet. Due to water leaks two of these 2x4's are pulling loose and I am working to pull them back into position and attach them more securely with screws and or bolts. I wonder how this differs from what would be build today? Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

Roof trusses may be used now.

A smaller piece than 2x6s can be used. But still basically the same construction.

Reply to
bud--

Yes, I would trust a cable more than these 60 year old 20 foot long

2x4's.
Reply to
Davej

The problem isn't the 2x4's; they've certainly got more than enough strength in tension. The weakest point is almost certainly the connection not the material.

The problem is as your first posting noted the effects of a leak over the years causing the joint to fail or perhaps the ends have also enough damage overall besides simply at the nailed (presuming) locations.

If you pull it back in shape and gusset it up back to solid material including a scab or two if needed to provide solid material and then fix the roof leaks it should last indefinitely.

If you're really ambitious, add an additional one between the existing. :)

Reply to
dpb

Here's a picture that explains the differences between collar ties and rafter ties.

Is this what you have?

DerbyDad03

I assume you mean as a top (upper) chord not a roof rafter?

Reply to
Doug

If I understand the OP question correctly, I think I agree with you. Too many people worry about the material not realizing often the connection is the problem or the weakest link.

Reply to
Doug

Sounds like it is time to cut out the rotted materials and bolt the structural pieces back together with a proper connecting plate...

Reply to
Evan

You are probably correct but I think it's safer to just start with all new stuff. I know it adds to the cost but I'm thinking of safety and longevity down the road. Of course that's the OP call.

Reply to
Doug