Old furnace to heat garage

To occasionally heat the garage (450sqft) could I just connect the exhaust to the old chimney flue connector and let the hot air from the plenum heat the garage? The garage is finished but very leaky.
Give more detail. Your post isnt making much sense .

I'm replacing a 20+ year old upflow gas standing pilot furnace that is located on a wall adjacent to the garage. The new furnace will not use the old chimney so I could connect the old furnace from the other side of the wall. Rather than toss it out, I might as well use it as a garage heater. It would only be used by myself and shut-off when I'm finished.
It is very possible. I'd suggest to discuss it with the heating tech who is putting in the new furnace. I would imagine it would make a good garage h eater.
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

PVC ductwork? Wow! Bubba
Opps sorry, shouldnt have said ductwork.... (most refer that to the heated side of the house)
I was referring to 4" to 6" exhaust. Hi Efficency units have issues sending their exhaust up and out the chimeny because the temperature that comes out of the furnace is too low. (you need heat to get a decent draft up and out of a chimeny)
So allot of new HI Eff. units just use PVC pipe routed to the outside of the house.
Bubba wrote:

Really? Well, I guess I learn something new, everyday. :-) Bubba

Well, stick around Bubba!You will catch on soon enough! Greg

Over here? I doubt it and Id rather not. (sarcasim switch is now turned back off) Bubba
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:06:43 -0600, "Greg O"

It may be against building code to have a heat duct into the garage. It will allow heat into the garage, but can also allow carbon monoxide into the house.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I am almost sure it is going to be against code. They are kind of funny about breaking the fire barrier between the home and the garage as well as providing a nice source of ignition if you have a gasoline leak in the garage.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Good points, anyone want a used furnace?

connect the

air from

leaky.
garage.
kind of funny

as well as

in the

Aren't furnaces and water heaters in the garage fairly common? I have a gas overhead heater in my separate garage.
Bob
Bob wrote:

Yes they are, and frankly I don't think they are much of a problem, but I don't have the facts. I have heard of local codes that prohibit them, but I have no idea of how common that may be. Thanks for pointing that out and allowing me to clarify my statement.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

funny
The fire wall penetration is a problem. As for a furnace in a garage, I doubt it is against code any where, as long as it is installed properly Greg

It's not against code to have a heat duct into the garage; it is against code to have a return in the garage if it's the same furnace that heats the house. That isn't what's being discussed. The only code issue here is that the return to the furnace isn't allowed to be within 6' of the firebox if it's an open combustion unit.
Dan