Old fashion painted wood floor

Hi,
Is it economical to create an interesting country looking painted wood floor anymore ? We have the common pre-finish hardwood floor in the living room and my wife suggests a painted wood floor upstairs in our bedrooms.
What is the minimum type or grade of wood to be used for a low traffic area such as bedrooms ? I need something that last a while, can't afford to redo the floor every few years.
Thanks in advance for sharing your valuable knowledge.

Any type of wood will outlast the finish on it. Pine holds up for years. I know of a couple of houses that are 200+ years old and floors are still in good shape. Hardwood is even better but shame to paint. Ed
Please forgive my ignorance. So is pine a kind of "softwood" ? If I order pine from home depot or a lumbar yard, do I have to tell them I am using the materials for floor covering ?

JW wrote:

If you tell them it's for a floor, you will probably get tounge-and-groove, which makes a better floor, but may not be authentic, depending on what you're trying to imitate. Definately, you should tell the lumberyard what you're using the wood for. They may have a selection of species to choose from, or other useful suggestions.
--Goedjn
JW wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it economical to create an interesting country looking painted wood > floor anymore ? We have the common pre-finish hardwood floor in the > living room and my wife suggests a painted wood floor upstairs in our > bedrooms.
> What is the minimum type or grade of wood to be used for a low traffic > area such as bedrooms ? I need something that last a while, can't > afford to redo the floor every few years.
> Thanks in advance for sharing your valuable knowledge.
Check out some of the "wood tile" stuff that's available. 16" squares and reasonable. Various patterns available so you can mix 'em up like ceramic tyles are done in bathrooms.