Old dug well 75 feet

Page 2 of 3

Probably ship them off the Yucca Mountain would be the best.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.

Locally the rule is, fill with sand to within a few feet of the top, then cover with clay fill.well mounded up. We had such a fill job done free a couple of years ago because the old cistern/well was within a few hundred feet of the high school. I sort of miss the old cast iron pump in the patio. Looked rather neat painted Rustoleum light gray.
Joe
use sand,wash in each load or two with water that helps to fill the voids and compacts at the same time.Do this and it will settle very little.
wrote:

Locally the rule is, fill with sand to within a few feet of the top, then cover with clay fill.well mounded up. We had such a fill job done free a couple of years ago because the old cistern/well was within a few hundred feet of the high school. I sort of miss the old cast iron pump in the patio. Looked rather neat painted Rustoleum light gray.
Joe
I hope you have a good reason for back filling an otherwise good well. As unstable as the world is, you may need it later. You could regret that decision very severely.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Agreed. I have been on town water for over 30 years but I still have my original bored well. It is 36" in diameter x 40 feet deep minus some silting in. At the present time it is under a large deck, however I can get to it by lifting a "trap door" panel from the deck. If something happens to destroy, polute or otherwise make town water unuseable, I can always lift the door, remove the concrete lid and drop a pail down the well and lift up some water, if it is summer I have a pump that I can sit on the deck to pressurize my house system.
EXT wrote:

I would think if you are not using it it would become polluted and stagnant.

nope water flows underground naturally........ it doesnt spoil and traveling thru ground helps clean it

I don't know what area you live in, but my brother in law abandoned a well and since he lived on a farm, he filled it with field stone....worst infestation of snakes I have ever heard of after that... Jim

my home plan was built in 1950, they filled a hand dug well in my back yard. it settled for over 50 years. was a real maintence headache. lived here since 1972.
i would fix up the lawn ornament the next home buyer might like it

Leave it until I get my MIL over there. We'll toss her in, and if there's any room left, put the concrete on top of her.

Why fill it. The water is probably great for watering plants, lawn and trees, its all full of nutrients.
ransley wrote:

I don't water nothing. I let nature take care of itself.
on 10/23/2009 9:18 AM (ET) Van Chocstraw wrote the following:

Throwing anything down there might affect other people who take their water from that aquifer.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Naw, water traveling thru 100' of soil is clean enough to drink. That's why you can have a well and septic field on the same property as long as they are 100+ ft apart.
KC
KC wrote:

likely to release. Not at all true for hydrocarbons, heavy metals in solution, and similar industrial things. They managed to kill a well field in this city a few years back with the plume from a solvent processing company several miles away. Also why gas stations that go out of business can't abandon their old metal tanks in place any more, and why new station tanks are double-wall plastic with alarms built in. And why neighborhood ma'n'pa dry cleaners have to send their actual cleaning out to a central plant now.
-- aem sends...
KC wrote:

If you fill with gravel, you create a short circuit from the surface pollution directly into the deep water.
wrote Re Re: Old dug well 75 feet:

Correct. If it must be filled, it should be with something like clay or bentonite.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

A good friend with 2 wells suggests the non used well may be acting as a water reservior. helping increase water production at the active well.
something to ponder as you consider permanetely plugging the wall

The 100 ft through dirt may be correct. Dumping pollutants directly into an aquifer (well) bypasses the 'dirt' bit.
Harry K

If there are any regulations covering closing a well there _will_ be specifications to the effect that it be sealed so no surface water can enter. If no local regs apply, then the EPA will have one, you can bet on that.
Having had my go around with the EPA I promise you you do not want to go that route.
Seal it properly or not at all.
Harry K