Old Deep Freeze

Does anyone know what might be causing a drastic power drag when the motor on an old (small) deep freeze kicks on? It seems that it will pull the power down in the entire house (lights go very dim, sat TV will shut down etc) momentarily and then when it comes back up, it comes back up big time, sometimes making the lights so bright you'd think the sun came through the roof.
Tks
BG

power
When electric motors start up, they draw significantly more current than they do when running. Your motor is probably just getting old and the bearings are worn or dirty. As a result, it is taking a long time for it to get up to speed and a normal current draw. The larger the motor, the more noticeable the effect; and your old freezer is probably the biggest motor in your house. You *could* replace the motor, but it's probably more cost efficient to just upgrade your freezer IMHO.
Joe F.
wrote in message

motor
the
more
in
Thanks. I have been thinking along the lines of just chucking it and getting a new one, but was hoping for something like maybe a $2 relay or something. I appreciate the enlightening.
BG

getting
something.
When I replaced my refrigerator last year, there was a 6 year payback on the 12 year old one. Probably about the same on your freezer.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:53:09 GMT, "Brooks Gregory"

Look around the house and see if some lights are bright *first* and then are dimmer. You could have a bad neutral from the power company. I had such a problem many years ago... the furnace blower would come on with bizarre changes in lighting... the underground neutral had corroded to a high resistance.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

motor
power
the
Thanks, I've probably got some of that as well.
BG
Brooks Gregory wrote:

the freezer is telling you to throw it out... the motor is drawing too much current and will eventually stop working... its kind of a warning.. hey i am gonna die, get the meat out of me befofe it spoils......
Brooks Gregory wrote:

one way of testing it would be with an Amprobe(a clamp on amp meter).. look at the rating tag on the compressor motor and see if it says 4 amps, or such and then put the meter over one of the wires and let it start up.. bet it is pulling more, maybe 25-30 or more amps.. and if so its drawing too much current and will eventually burn up....
Get a new freezer. You are probably doing damage to your TV and computers, etc. by having these power sags and surges. Des

power
It could be a log of things but most here say it appears to be the motor drawing too much power. That means the motor could be bad or the compressor itself is binding and hard to turn. Time for a new freezer.
Brooks Gregory wrote:

A 'tight' compressor could cause the lights to dim when it was starting (as could just running it in an extension cord or an overloaded circuit) but I don't think it would be responsible for the lights to get brighter afterward.
I would think at least some of the problem in likely in the house wiring but if you can find an appliance service technician which is also licensed for household wiring, it might be prudent to get a professional's opinion.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+freezer
=~~~~~~