Old Craftsman table saw motor died

I have an old Craftsman table saw made in the 1940's and I tried to get the old motor rebuilt. The man said it was too far gone. It is a 1/3 HP motor. I don't know how many RPM it is. The motor has a bracket and it is connected to a pivot which allows the motor to hang off the end of the wooden base the saw is bolted to. I feel as if I need to go to a 1/2 HP motor, but I do not know what kind of motor to select. I know I need a motor which has a bracket it I mount it back like the old motor. Another problem is I do not know how many RPM's a table saw motor should have. Any help would be appreciated as to the proper motor and the RPM's. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Johnr24689

Did you look here ?

Ralph Mowery

John:

Take a look at the diameter of the pulley on the motor and the pulley on the saw arbor.

Commonly fractional horsepower electric motors are either a 1725 rpm or a 3450 rpm motors.

The maximum arbor speed in rpm is a function of the blade diameter. The larger the blade diameter, the faster (in feet/minute) the cutting rim of the blade is running.

Here's a typical table. You can probably find more.

MAXIMUM R.P.M. TABLE Dado Set Maximum Diameter R.P.M.

6" 9,500 8" 7,000 10" 5,700 12" 4,800

If the arbor pulley is 2x the diameter of the motor pulley, the arbor will turn at 2x the rpm of the motor. Perhaps you can use logic to back calculate the motor speed?

You say you know that it is a 1/3 HP motor. Is that all the information you have on the nameplate?

Did you ask the motor rebuilder if he had any idea of the motor rpm? I would think that someone skilled in the trade could deduce it from the construction.

Good luck finding a replacement.

baumgrenze

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
baumgrenze

My '56 Craftsman says 3450 RPM.

You can vary the size of the pulley to adjust the blade RPM, which is the critical factor.

A 3600RPM motor should work just fine.

-- Silly sig to prevent isp ad

Reply to
John Hines

theres no shame in buying a new saw, and it will likely be safer too.

things have changed a lot since the 40s and saws arent that expensive

Reply to
hallerb

Thank you for the information. I am waiting on the motor-man rebuilder to find me a replacement motor. He did say he could take the old motor apart again and determine the RPM rating.

Yes, I have been thinking of buying another table saw, but I have a much newer one that I am having the motor rebuilt on. What luck I have. :-) It should be ready this week. I was hoping to get this old Craftsman working and was hoping it was only the capacitor that was bad.

Thanks again. John

Reply to
John24689