Old Copper Pipes

Page 2 of 2

hibb wrote:

They don't look that bad to me.
And, if they are not leaking at those fittings,
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 9/21/2010 1:38 PM, hibb wrote:

there's really no reason to replace soft copper lines if they are not damaged or leaking. But if you must, i'd recommend you use a proper flare fitting to transition to a threaded fitting, then use the adaptor that screws in to go to PEX. IF this area is going to continue to be accessible, then the sharkbite fittings could be used. However, I do have reservations about them because they DO utilize a rubber o-ring and rubber does not last forever. Also, they are expensive.
--
Steve Barker

I've used "shark bite" connectors and they DO work - but I'd only use them in situations where a proper soldered joint is difficult or impossible to make due to location, or when joining dis-similar pipes where soldering is not an option and the sharkbite is better than the alternative.