Old Copper Pipes

Page 1 of 2

I replaced the lines that went over to the sink and to the toilet. The lines in this picture go to the outlets to the tub and over to where the split off to the sink and toilet.
Would you replace those too if it were you?
If you think they should be replaced, would you use something other than the usual copper pipes and fittings like the SharkBite products for example?
Have you tried the "SharkBite" brand of products? If so what do you think of them or have they developed any sort of reputation good or bad?
Thanks, David
Add pictures here
✖
Ooops forgot the link to the picture. This picture is posted through "yousendit dot com" instead of FileAve that I used before that caused some folks some concern about malware.
http://tinyurl.com/248evr8
Thanks, David
Add pictures here
✖
hibb wrote:

If it's just an image, use http://www.imageshack.us/ , then people can just view it in their browser instead of having to "download" it.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 21, 3:34 pm, "Jon Danniken"

Yep. I didn't look at the picture for that reason. I have enough crap on my computer.
✖
On 9/21/2010 2:34 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

any image get "downloaded" for lack of a better term. I had no problem viewing this one.
--
Steve Barker
✖
hibb wrote the following:

Yousendit is for file transfers, like Napster, etc. I don't want to download files to my computer unless I am completely secure that the site is OK. Use any of the free image sharing sites where no downloading is required. Photobucket, Imageshack, Picasa, etc.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yeah, I'll have to try some of those. Thanks for the suggestions.
Add pictures here
✖

viewer. I use IrfanView.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 21, 8:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There was no option for open with that first link - least not for me. Just a "where did ya want to save that?" dialog. This is not normal behavior, and not normal behavior is rarely good when it comes to computers. The OP should just stick with one of the two or three biggie hosting sites.
✖

Well, I haven't been accused of normal behavior in a long time but when I tested the link I was asked if I wanted to open or save the file.
Anyway, I did relocate the picture to another location so that it can be viewed in a web page and can be viewed here:
http://yfrog.com/mjdscn7920j
Also, I an not exactly new around here and no one has reported any security related problems with my pictures except a previous problem with the FileAve site reported by you so I dumped them so I'm getting a bit sensitive to you continually questioning my integrity. I see you posting about "using one of the two or three biggie hosting sites" and yet you keep those sites secret and don't enlighten us about what exactly those sites are. I used Imageshack for the post in this note. Are your biggie hosting sites better?
I don't blame you for being concerned about security but, like I said, I am not new around here and didn't just suddenly show up out of the blue asking you to download files. So if you have a problem with what I am doing, teach me how to do it better instead of posting that my behavior is not normal.
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:39:50 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Add pictures here
✖

would not replace them. They have many years of life left.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
✖
On Sep 21, 4:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

I didn't notice any soft spots that wanted to kink when I was pulling them to the side to get to other things.
I was asking because these will be under the tub far enough that they will be hard to get to if something happens. This is an upstairs bathroom. but it won't be used much and I might even turn the water off to the upstairs most of the time.
Thanks, David
Add pictures here
✖
hibb wrote the following:

The green color is the natural patina of copper. If it was a sign of trouble, the Statue of Liberty would need a new skin less than every hundred years.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

pipe? And I'd be closely checking the quality/condition of the cast iron pipe too. I've seen too many "weep" and let go. Many insurance companies are not covering cast iron drainpipe any more on new policies for that reason.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for posting the picture on a normal hosting site.
In such situations, where something won't be accessible after the work is completed, and getting to it for a repair would be problematic, the thing turns into a Wallya. Wallya at it, might as well replace those pipes. Copper corrodes from the inside out, and as someone else mentioned, the first signs of a problem is some green patina spots showing up, usually near the joints where someone was liberal with the flux. So, I have to disagree with Bill's assesment. If the patina is more or less uniform on the pipe, fine, but if there are localized green spots with white stuff around, then that's a bad sign. The pipe has corroded from the inside and the change in patina somehow indicates thinner material where the pipe has eroded. This seems to happen more in fittings and probably has to do with turbulent flow or some such and/or excess flux.
Sharkbite fittings work great, and they are rated for burial in slabs, but I don't know if they'd be my first choice if you're going with copper pipe. I don't doubt the Sharkbite fittings would work, but I just like the purity of copper with copper. If you're transitioning to PEX the Sharkbites make it trivial - one of their best points. You can work with copper, PVC or PEX with the same fitting, which makes them indispensable in the repair kit. If you are concerned about them being buried for a long while over occupied space below, run an air pressure test. Hook up a fitting and pump it up to double your house pressure and let it sit overnight to see if the air pressure is dropping. If it holds at double the pressure, it's unlikely you'd ever have a problem. They probably would be fine, they seem very well made and they work better than the competition that I've tried, such as the Zurn plastic stuff. Pretty funny, eh? I have no problem with PEX supply piping, but plastic fittings give me the heebie jeebies. I have had issues with the Zurn fittings before, so I just stopped using them.
✖
On 9/21/2010 7:32 PM, RicodJour wrote:

wrote:

it's been my experience that these soft copper runs to things in older houses are rarely 5/8" OD. And that's the only way a sharkbite is gonna be an option. He might just as well go back to a known good point and either sweat on or flare fitting to a pipe thread and use a proper adaptor to the material he wishes to use.
--
Steve Barker
✖

Yes, of course - if the pipe is not standard, he has little choice.
✖

I've already used the sharkbite stuff to replace the runs over to the sink and the stool. I replaced those lines because the original did not have shut off valves anywhere except in the basement.
Thanks, David
Add pictures here
✖

fittings??? It wouldn't be staying there in MY house!!! In that location, no reason not to use hard copper pipe with properly soldered connections.
Add pictures here
✖