Old Charmglow Grill on post

Hello all,
I've posted this also to a barbecue group but thought some here might be able to help also:
I've just moved into a house that has an old Charmglow Grill (HED-1 Party Host) mounted to a permanent post. It's natural gas.
From googling I now know this is a classic old grill that used to be a standard (or perhaps the only thing available). My question is this, is this grill worth restoring? It seems like it only needs a new burner and venturi, plus maybe a new knob, handle, some cleaning and possibly paint. The regulator and block seem okay, but what do I know, they may need replacement also. I can get a total redo kit for about $170 but it might cost less if I don't need everything. I did notice a site selling a redone full grill (on wheels rather than post) for $975 (http://tinyurl.com/28qbc ).
I wonder if anyone can tell me how the old Charmglow (once restored) compares to the modern natural gas equivalent? It seems $170 for a nat gas grill, if it works well, beats out buying a new one for $600 or more.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
--Eric
P.S. - I intend to use this grill for weekday summer cooking. On weekends when I will have more time I will usually stick to my charcoal weber kettle.
Anybody that spends $600 on a grill has way too much money on their hands.
Gas grills can be had for $100.

Curmudgeon wrote:

Normally I'd agree, at least partially, since I have never spent more than $100 for a grill before (used Weber Kettle or cheap knockoff - both charcoal), but this is a natural gas grill rather than a propane and as far as I can tell $600 and above appears to be the range (although looking again I see a Weber Genesis is about $500) for something that will last beyond a year or two.
The only diff. between nat. gas and propane is the jet...a coupla bucks at most.

hands.

And the regulator

Right. I've had a few of those and that is why I spent $1200 on my last gas grill. Why? It will probably last the life of 15 or 20 of the $100 models, making it chepaer int he long run. During the life of it, I have better temperature conntrol, an infrared rotisseries, a 15,000 Btu side burner, smoking chip box inegral to the burners, an "oven" burner, porcelain coated cast iron gates, work surface.
For the guy that want to grill a hot dog on July 4th, the cheap grill is fine. For those of us that truly enjoy cooking, enjoy good food, enjoy using different techniques, the more expensive grill suite our needs just fine. Ed
Fix it and paint it it will be like new. If it has a wood handle its Teak, sand it and oil. Gas is gas you dont get the same results as charcoal because gas releases moisture, this affects how meats crust.
I have one of these. It cost very little to restore it. The $170 seems a little high but you may be going for authentic parts. I used generic parts that were made to replace the originals. Check out the stability of your post especially where it fits into the grill and the flange on the ground. Make sure you do a good job on the painting using the proper paint.
Good Luck.

Baron wrote:

Hi Baron,
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear I might be able to this for less than $170. The stability of the post is very good, so I think I'll go ahead restore it. I'm assuming you're happy with how yours cooks?
Thanks again, Eric
It cooks as well as it ever did but in all fairness, it came original with the house and we are the third owners. I suggest that you get something like ceramic blocks that spread the heat more evenly than simple lava rocks. Other than that, it works very reliably.
Good Luck.