Old Cast Iron Radiators and Forced Hot Water (Shut off valve question)

Hi All: I have an old heating system. It is a Forced Hot Water System with those old cast iron (about 30" tall) under every window. They are not recessed in the wall. Each of the upstairs radiators has a shutoff valve. It is my understanding that the valves only partially shut off the radaitor. Lately I notice that the tmeperature upstairs gets really hot and downstairs is cool. I tried shutting these valvles and most are hard to turn and I'm afraid I wil brake one or cause leakage. Anyone have any experience with these radiator valvles? The last thing I need now is to break one of these in the middle of the winter. M

http://www.heatinghelp.com Post your question on the wall. Good folks over there.

You are probably better off waiting until heating season is over and then try to do something with them.
Patience! It's only a few weeks away......
You're right I should wait. Only a few weeks away? Your right there too. I won't miss the $300 every three weeks for oil.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:02:20 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"