Old burner pumps

Would this be a good newsgroup to get info on above?

Anyone have information on parts/supplies for repairing oil burner pumps. Google gives such an array of sites for pumps it scares you. :-) These were/are still used on home heating oil furnaces, probably also in mobile homes.

What we have here is a sundstrand/inglis no. J4 BD 100-2. Actually have several, all with defective seals on the shaft. It's a seal resembling the pump seal on water pumps only these are brass and metal.

Any info on a supplier would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Shopper

Try a company called " Sid Harvey" on Google. I don't believe that they would sell parts /seals etc. But they do rebuild all sorts of furnace items. Good luck.

Reply to
AJW

-snip-

- I've dealt with these folks a couple times and was pleased with their service-

No hits on that model # -- but they have an advanced search, an email address & an 800 number.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You really should just replace the entire pump. I'm not saying you CAN'T rebuild the pump, but the chances that it will not leak again are not very good.

Reply to
Red Neckerson

For a temporary fix I've salvaged the seal from another pump which had the wrong rotation. It did leak for the first few hours but gradually improved and after about 1/2 a day it was fine. We have three spares and all leak. The rubber diaphram is wrotten. It would be nice to have them repaired. I've worked on a lot a water systems and never had trouble with replacing seals, even many used salvaged ones. So if I can find the parts I'm willing to try. But would also like to have a new pump on hand just in case.

Reply to
Shopper