Old box fan and 'Lectric

PM> Re: Old box fan and 'Lectric Motors 101 PM> PM> IIRC, I used to know a bit about Electric Motors. That PM> was back around 1970, and my memory is poor. PM> PM> They must be building them to last. I haven't needed PM> to work on one in many years. PM> PM> But, when it rains, it pours. Now I got 'bout 3 EM's PM> that might need repair. PM> PM> One is an old K-mart box fan (a Lakewood K-223) that's PM> gave good service for maybe 30 years. I even built a PM> little stand for it ... PM> PM> So I turn it on hi yesterday and after a few seconds PM> I got a pop and spark out of where the wries enter the PM> motor, and it stops. Today I clean 30 years of crud PM> from the windings etc, reassemble, and test on lo. It PM> runs for 20 secs then does the pop/spark again (and PM> quits). I unplug quickly. PM> PM> Here's the 'Lectric Motors 101 part. There's windings, PM> brushes, and a rotor inside? Long time ago, it was PM> practical to replace brushes as necessary for some PM> EM's. What do you look for? What can you do/not-do?
Perhaps the problem is over the years the insulation has worn away where the wires enter the motor? Inspect the wires at the site of the pop/spark and anyplace else. Notice the plural: it takes two to make a circuit.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* BannedChildrensBooks: Pop! Goes The Hamster and Other Microwave Games
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971