Old Boiller Replacemet Question

I got a quote for a nw heating system tha is reasonable; $5500 for an new Wheil McClean oiler plus asbestos removal.

The old boiler is a coal converted burnham. The advantage of the old system is that it keeps the cellar warm in the winter and my wife does the laundry in the basement.

If I replace the system is it possible that the house will not heat up as well? The heat in the basement rises and presumably heats the floor which in turn helps to heat the house. The last thing I want to do is put in a system that ca't heat the house. I realize that the old boiler is costing me money but at least the basement is warm and I never have any problems.

Maybe I should have a baseboard installed in the basement near the laundry ?

mstrspy

Your heating system is designed to dissipate heat at the heat-exchangers- not elsewhere, which is simply waste. (You'll never get zero waste.) Heating a basement is also a problem because masonry walls are very conductive- you're heating the Great Outdoors.

Maybe short-term radiant heating for people in bsmt, or clothing?

barry