Old boiler to New boiler and water heater

I want to get a new heating/water system. I will heat with oil and bath with gas heated water. My chimney has no liner. I'll need a stainless steel liner. One chimney guy wants to come over, inspect, suggest what to do, then give a quote while charging me for the inspection. The second chimney guy said he'll come over after the new equipment is installed and then size and certify. What is the proper order of liner installation?

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Why not heat all with gas and direct vent with a high efficency heating system , saves 8-14% on heat and needs no chimney, vent out with PVC at ground level. Only a hack heater guy will install you with a bad flue-chimney. Get a Permit, and free inspection, get a load calculation. What you save on a liner put into equipment and insulation and save more on utilities, maybe 25% or more

Reply to
ransley

Charging for inspection is common for a chimney sweep. You can usually negotiate the fee back if you have work done.

If you have gas coming to the house, it is probably cheaper to heat with gas all the way and do away with oil. There are many new models out there, many that do not need a chimney and in your case, the associated expenses. Get some estimates from heating installers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In addition to what the others said, if you decide to go with a gas heating appliance that vents through the chimney (boiler or furnace) , the liner wouldn't (probably) need to be stainless. For gas appliances, the standard liners are aluminum, which is way, way cheaper than stainless.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

eed a stainless

might as well go all gas with direct vent furnace and seperate direct vent hot water tank.

the chimney wouldnt be used anymore and everything will be uch more efficent.

Reply to
hallerb