Old Black Tar Floor Adhesive--Safety Question

I'm living in a coastal area (I mean right on the Atlantic Ocean) in a ground-floor apartment with a cement floor. Ever since relocating here from Pennsylvania, my eyes have swollen, sagged, and aged at least ten years. I thought the problem was moldy furniture, which my landlady allowed me to get rid of (it's a furnished apartment). But the problem didn't go away.
We (landlady and I) shampooed and rinsed the indoor/outdoor carpet, which only made the problem worse. We tore up the rug and padding, and we did find a little mold.
However, the problem smell is coming from ancient cove cement that now makes the bedroom smell as if I were living on new asphalt. I have difficulty believing this application is 50+ years old; it smells like new cove cement.
Is it deadly?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Oct 10, 11:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Your problem might be mold, use bleach to kill it. Id call city hall for help, the health department. Moving might be best, what you smell is likely mold as mold can have a strong smell. If its mold bleach will turn usualy brown or red. Your lanlord is responsible for a safe environment that you are not getting and paid for. The city will get you the quickest remedy. You realy should not stay there untill its fixed. If you see mold scrape and keep a sample for future testing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Oct 10, 11:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Why would there be black glue under carpet, maybe its Mold. If the furniture was molded I bet the spores are everywhere, walls, clothes, etc, and spraying the whole apt with bleach would be needed. Then the problem of moisture has to be fixed that caused it to occur or it will come right back. Get and keep samples, pour bleach on it, if you see a change in color, its Mold. Call the city health dept.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Probably your bed is full of mold spores it should be junked...Your lanlord sounds like an ass. To have mold on furniture you must have very very high humidity and water leaking in. Landlords are required by law to provide a healthy safe residence, the city would probably make her move you to a hotel or another apt while it is cleaned, is the mold deadly, well you say you are sick.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to move. The mold situation is pretty much under control in every area of the apartment. It's why 50 year old floor adhesive should still be giving off such fumes that scares me.
Thanks again for your replies.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Oct 10, 1:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Its your lanlords responsibility to give you a healthy apt, I dought what you smell is adhesive, its likely mold. 1 yr old adhesive wont smell.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you're allergic to it, sure.
Paint over it with a non-permeable paint to seal it in. You should be able to match the color exactly and a quart ought to be enough to paint to seal up the cracks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks (also to Ransley). I don't have access to the Internet 24/7, so I might not answer or read any further answers until tomorrow, but-- would painting over the cove cement really help? I happen to think along Ransley's lines; I have a hard time believing that cove adhesive--*IF* it really is 50 years old--would smell this bad and have such a bad affect on me.
Heck, as long as I'm on the subject, does anyone know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Yes, you go to sleep and you don't wake up,ever.Get a CO detector today if you suspect a CO problem.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Shortness of breath Nausea Headache Dizziness Light-headedness
And then you die.
A simple blood-test can detect.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, I spent the morning in the E.R. after my doctor said a cherry- colored face is also possible indication of CO poisoning. The blood gas tests came back negative.
A contractor/friend called long distance and suggested that, at sea level, problems with noxious odors are more than likely not caused by inert 50 year old cove adhesive. He suggested that salt water/sulfer (why is sulfer so strong by the ocean?)/drought may have brought on some of the pulmonary problems. He also suggested Radon poisoning (for which I wasn't tested).
Anyway, even though I don't feel better, I feel better, if that makes any sense. A CO detector was installed by my landlady; it registered OK.
If anyone feels like answering this-- Can certain people have allergies to natural gas heating systems? I went through this syndrome once before, in an efficiency where the old gas range made the air smell like rotten eggs (which is what the air here smells like). The management completely disconnected the gas, at which time my symptoms stopped.
I wanted to post, 'cause I always read responses, and I'm grateful for them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.