Old B&D Router

b&d cat no 7614 Type 3, 1 1/2 hp 9a. Appears that the collet will take 1/4" shank ONLY!!!
I think the 1.5 hp might be good for certain work with .5" shank bits.
Any way to get these to take .5" shank??
Thx, Will

Safely? No. You may find an extension, but spinning at 18,000 RPM, I'm not going to be in the same room with it. Get yourself a good router, like Bosch, Porter Cable, etc.

You can ask over at rec.woodworking, but they will likely tell you it is not worth the risk.
Joe
Strictly guessing, you might check for a seperate collet designed for 1/2 inch shanks. A Portal Cable router I've used has seperate collet's for each shank size, maybe that Black & Decker unit has the same.
Hul