old asphalt tile floor

Trying to redo the floor in an old church basement kitchen: it is the old 9" square asphalt tile & dark adhesive on concrete. Several tiles are coming loose and a few are missing leaving the dark adhesive exposed. (Are we looking at the "a" stuff?) We'd like to put an 18" peel & stick vinyl down as a DIY project. We've been coached to use some adhesive anyway even though it is peel and stick. We've also been coached to encapsulate the old adhesive with leveler/sealer. Thoughts?
and are coming

It is a near certanty that the tile and the mastic contain asbestos. The cheap way to deal with it is to encapsulate. I'd do "due dilegance" and check with local building official - without giving specific address - about local requirements. Actual removal can be expensive. While working for Feds, I ran iinto this situation a number of times about 10 years ago. I sense the anxiety level has subsided. However, it is still an issue for lawyers - one of my renters is headed out of state with an actual truck load of equipment and records as part of a legal case.
TB

I myself would just glue down any loose tiles or replace them if missing and lay out some sheet vinyl.cheaper and faster then removal plus its in a basement and a kitchen easier to clean.
PoCambo wrote:

Pretty good advice. Somebody should notify PoCambo that his identity's been stolen.
--
Klaus