Old air conditioner foam insulation breaking down

I have an old Friedrich Power Miser air conditioner. Still works fine but the foam insulation within it at the seams is breakding down and becoming dusty.
Do you think it would be OK to just remove the old foam and put trhe front cover back on?
Thanks.
You can buy replacement foam, But yes I would remove all that you can and find something else to filter the air.
Searcher
Shopdog wrote:

Has anyone else ever had such a problem with an old air conditioner?
Also: is the dust from the decaying insulation foam a potential health hazard?
Thank you.

The foam filters deteriorate after a few years. Cheap to replace with a generic one from the hardware store.
No, the dust is no more harmful than any other dust, dander, pet hairs, farts, or lint in your air.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I didn't mean the filter at the front vent that you're supposed to remove, but the insulation lining the inside parts of the air conditioner to seal it.
However, the insulation lining looks like its made of the same foam filter material anyway.
I was just worried about spreading foam dust residue throughout the household when I turn the AC on.
So: if everyone says its safe to, I'll just cut off the decaying foam insulation, try to remove all dust particles that have lodged in the vents, then crank up the AC.
Again, thanks.