Cheers . . . J
I have been offered an old air conditioning unit by a relative. The machine is a Sears window unit that is fifteen years old and has never been out of the box. Only the top of the box has been opened but nothing has been taken out. The box has been stored in one place with top up. Will this machine work properly if I try and use it. I don't know the model number. All I know if that it cost my relative about $500 fifteen years ago. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers . . . J
On Fri, 18 May 2007 06:59:19 -0700, J wrote:

Plug it in and see if it cools : Being that old it may eat you alive in electricity usage.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
Most likely, it's just fine. May take five to ten minutes of run before it blows cold. The freon dissolves in the oil. Takes a couple minutes to work loose.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Only way to know for sure is to plug it in and turn the switch. Most likely it will work just fine.

Per Edwin's comment "Most likely it will work just fine"
in addition I would suggest checking its SEER.......vs the SEER of a new unit.
The difference in SEER might be enough to pay for the new unit depending on frequency & duration of usage.
that is, if you use it everyday for a few hours maybe a new one would be cheaper in the long run.....if you hardy ever use it, it really doesn't matter much
cheers Bob

I agree. Very likely it will run just fine. But don't think of it as a $500 airconditioner. I remember paying $300+ for window units in the late 60's, early 70's. What would that be inflation adjusted? $1000? You can probably get the same unit today for $150 and it uses less energy, and weighs a fraction of what the old ones did.
So, if it's free and easy to get, I'd probably use it. But if it's a 200 mile drive and you have to take someone to dinner, that's another story.
Most windows units made today are 10 SEER. If the old one is too and still works then it's just fine.
On May 18, 1:06�pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

new units a way lighter than older ones, something else to consider

ROFL
Dan

hehe....fortunately no long drive or dinner is necessary. Thanks very much for all the replies. I appreciate the time and effort from each of you!
Cheers . . . J

What a deal! I'd go get it.
(I wouldn't cut a hole in a wall, or even mount it in a window, without testing it first. But that's not because it's 15 years old. It's because if it doesn't work for any reason -- even a new ac can be broken -- you can't take it back and get one that works, like you could if you bought one from a store that an ongoing supply of ACs.