OK to use wet-dry vac to siphon gas?

Page 2 of 3

Wow thats even dumber than the Iranians climbing the electric pole to steal power (posted a few weeks ago).
A college friend of mine once tried to "dry out" a flooded carburetor in dead winter by "burning off" the excess fuel in the carburator throat. He was running for the extinguisher when the rubber gas line started burning too.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:09:38 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/nov/14/blast-injures-albuquerque-man-house-damaged /
For fuck's sake!!

gas is flamable?

Good grief...... I would have never even thought of doing something so stupid. I'm pretty sure those motors have brushes, and brushes mean sparks. I dont even like using those little drill operated pumps that you can buy anywhere for under $5. I have one, used it for water several times, but for gas I'll stick to the old fashioned hand operated squeeze bulb, and make sure not to smoke while doing it.
On Nov 16, 3:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Yup. All these rank right in there with those about the lady who washed her telephone in hot water in the kitchen sink "Because it was dirty"!. (It short circuited the telephone line so none of the phones in the house would work!). Or the kids who put a pet cat into the microwave to dry it off after giving it a bath' etc./ etc. (First Kitty was shivering; and then was dead.). Misunderstanding of the tools and technology we have at hand makes us modern humans more stupid than a 'primitive person's' understanding of more natural events. Such as "Don't eat those berries they will kill or make you sick. That water or that animal/fish etc. is unclean and will give you disease. Of course what we are currently doing to the planet is going in that direction anyway!

Well, there was an episode of "Mythbusters" were they *tried* to get a vacuum cleaner (wet/dry) to blowup using this method and nothing happened.

Shop-Vac Jet Engine
Myth: A guy was cleaning his pool and heard an explosion. He went to his neighbor's house -- his neighbor was using a shop-vac to get the sediment off the bottom of the gas tank in his boat. The fumes went through the shop-vac and turned it into a turbine engine.
Test 1: Shop-Vac + Gas Can
They put a small amount of gas in a gas can so that it was mostly full of fumes. They hooked it up to a shop-vac for five minutes to see if they could get an explosion.
No explosion. It turns out that the shop-vac that they had chosen, like most new shop-vacs, has a safety feature: the motor is isolated from the tank and air running through the tank, so the motor can't spark the fumes.
Test 2: Short-circuited shop-vac + Gas Can
By accident, they short-circuited their shop-vac parts, sending sparks everywhere. Happy with this discovery, they decide to rig a worst-case shop-vac: short-circuit and a hole drilled through to allow the spark to reach the fumes. They also added more gas to the gas can.
No explosion.
Test 3: Creating a Jet-engine out of Vacuum Parts
Tory went to A&G Vacuum shop to pick up some more vacuums. A&G Vacuum was the site of Adam's facial run-in with a vacuum motor (Adam decided to stick his face near a motor, which pulled in and chopped up his lip). The Vacuum Man showed Tory an older vacuum that was capable of sparking fumes into a fire.
This proved that it's possible for a vacuum to catch on fire, but it didn't turn into a jet engine. With this in mind, Tory was tasked with replicating the results of the myth, i.e. creating a jet-engine out of vacuum parts.
Tory's design:
* Vacuum motor sucks in air into a tube * Fuel injector made from a propane ring from a propane stove * Flame catcher made from a conical strainer * Fans at back
Tory: "There are going to be a lot of engineers out there going, 'What the hell is he doing?' and I'm asking myself that on a moment-by- moment basis, 'What the hell am I doing?'"
Tory's vacuum-based jet-engine was hung up chamber with an ignitor. First try: no ignition. Tory moved the ignitor to the end of the engine. Second try: still no ignition. Tory then tried an open flame at the end of the chamber: finally, ignition.
There was a tiny, tiny bit of thrust when the vacuum motor started, but for the most part it just tossed flames around the chamber.
Jamie's explanation:
"The whole concept of a vacuum cleaner being a jet engine is all wrong. It goes against the principles that make jet engines. Vacuum cleaner create vacuums, that's low pressure. A jet engine works by creating more pressure, which completes the compression, so it's just not practical."
mythbusted
http://tinyurl.com/2sclx7

It may not have become a jet engine, but it did make a pretty decent flame thrower. Check out this video..it's worth waiting until 4:08 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2K42GbDN1Y

Unbelievable, especially with kids around.

Kids *around*? It was kids that were doing it. Did you hear one kid say "We definitely can't tell Mom and Dad?"

What I meant was, there seemed to be two "older kids" around and then two younger ones around. I would have to watch it again to be exactly sure.
Well nothing happened. So what's the big deal? Watching plastic burn?

Did you watch it up to and past 4:08 when it turned into a pretty decent flame thrower for few seconds?
yep, and i've made better flames with a lighter and a can of b-12.

Right after we installed a wood stove 30 years ago, I saw my wife vacuuming up ashes around it. I pointed out what would happen if just one little spark was to be sucked up.
Harry K

Tell us...what would happen if just one little spark was to be sucked up?
it burns a hole in the bag.

oooh...scary.
ya, really.

Does quite a bit more than that. Picture a pile of flufff, spark and a BIG draft blowing on it. Yes, the stuff in the bag will burn.
Harry K