OK to Remove Nat Gas Grill Jets?

My grill does not generate as much heat as I'd like. I cleaned out the manifolds and jets today, which helped a bit, but it occurs to me that I could completely remove the jets and regulate the gas flow with the valves.
Is there any other purpose to the jets other than to stop down the max rate of gas delivery to the burners? -- Bob Simon remove x from domain for private replies

This is Turtle.
The Jet is a safety device to stop over dumping of fuel into the burners if something goes wrong. With out a jet of some size to regulate the flame. Your going to get burnt lighting it in the future. If you want more heat. Drill out the jet by say 5 or 10 / thousandths and see if you get enough. Just keep drilling it out till you get what heat you want. Now just taking it out is very dangerous and you will find out if you do.
You must have a stopping point of Max. or you get in trouble.
TURTLE

ratio and will need to adjust it as well.
--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired
Jim Rusling wrote:

with the orifice drilled out, he will probably need to open up the air intake as well.
--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired

I hate it when I make typos like that.
--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired

This is Turtle.
I don't think he live close to me and to each his own.
TURTLE

The orifices serve the purpose of keeping the delivery pressure and speed up where it needs to be. As the gas exits the orifice the jet of gas pulls combustion air into the manifold with it. Otherwise your steaks will have a unpleasant coating of soot. If this is a natural gas grill I would look at the delivery pressure and capacity of the gas line that feeds it.
Bob Simon wrote:

Cheap grill? Honestly they all have a rated output and you really can't modify one to increase the output as frytech explained.
I had a cheap grill and I also felt the output was a bit low. Then I bought a good grill and it worked great, until someone stole it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

HeatMan wrote:

Could you give me your address and leave the keys in your pickup I would like to have it back. ;-)
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.
This may work out but how do you know which one is yours?
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

It will be the best one of course.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
..

Great idea. Hard to believe how stupid those engineers are that designed the grill. They never should have put them jets in thier in the first place. You'd think they would want to savbe cost instead of putting a restriction in the line.

Yes, they keep your ass in one piece. It may have a crack in it, but at least it is not on top of the garage roof in little pieces.