OK to remodel kitchen when the wife is pregnant?

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing matters. ;) but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it. Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Raymond

Reply to
nospam

Consult your doctors first.

Get a deadline on the work from the contractor.

Relatives or a Hotel rental for both of you - your choice.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

How do you expect her to do any cooking during those 2-4 weeks? Seriously, it ain't gonna be any more convenient when the baby comes. Better get it out of the way.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Should be. It will not be better later with a newborn.

If they are reputable folks, this won't be that much of a problem. Ask them to aim at 2 weeks though due to the prenancy issue and her needing not too much disruption.

This is more of an issue than dust if you live north and essential once the baby is born so you can't do it in winter next year.

If you have a cold snap, might be best to stay with family for a day or so. I presume here you don't live too far north or you couldnt shut off the heat long at all.

Any reason why you have to turn the heat off? That is pretty wierd.

Reply to
cshenk

And paint the baby's room; while yer at it :))

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Thanks for the reply.

I am afraid running the heater will distribute all the dust during the remodeling. So I plan to seal off all the vents and return duct during the remodel. After the house is throughly cleaned, then use the heater if I still need to.

I am in the San Francisco bay area. So by the time the remodeling is done, it's likely that I won't need the heater until November..

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.house

My mom smoked and drank while pregnant and I turned out kind of ok? Well maybe not.

Reply to
CM

Most welcome. I figure a first time Mom and Dad here . Otherwise you'd not be quite as worried about a little dust.

I doubt you wil have enough dust to worry about. You can just seal off the vent to the kitchen with plastic for the interum and leave the rest running as normal.

Heck, you barely need one . If it's an issue, get some simple electric oil filled ones for spot heating rooms. You only need one and can move it about.

Not mentioned but figured if you are a new Dad on the way, there *are* a few legit things to be careful of. This isnt inclusive but what comes to mind:

1- Do NOT let her lift anything the wrong way and sprain her back. It will not heal until after the baby is born due to the changes in body weight. Right now, thats just a caution but as she hits 6 months and on, a real concern. Carry in the heavy bags from the grocery store for her. If you dont have baggers to put them in the car, start going with her by 7th month so you can load the car. You can always do a big monthly trip at need then and little stuff between wont be a problem for her. 2- do NOT let her touch cat litter pans. Sorry dude, but if you have cats, that is your job starting NOW and until the kid is born. 3- Best if she wears playtex gloves when cleaning with chemicals at least for the first 6 months. 4- Best to not spraypaint anything when she is near. (Unlike mere dust, this can be a hazard). Rolling paint, especially latex, is fine though. If you need to spraypaint now, do it while she's grocery shopping and in the garage then open the door .

Other items, not really related to the newsgroup:

1- Money, dont go crazy with bottle heaters and all that. The ones with plastic liners work very well for newborns and believe it or not, they like it cold so heating isnt needed. If it makes you feel better, setting it in a pot of water from the coffeemaker for a short time works just spiffy. It's fine to just mix and put it in the fridge. What the kid cares about it being held, not the temp of the milk.

- breast feeding at least the first month is highly recommended but sometimes the mother has to have medications which make this not possible. Have a few cans of premade ready at home before delivery 'just in case'.

2- skip the fancy changing tables. You will have no use for them and they not only cost alot, they arent as efficient as just putting a towel on the bed. 3- get a good car carrier and it doubles at home to keep the little one in before they hit crawling age for a bit. Get the INFANT one, not the one that is supposed to cover all sizes.
Reply to
cshenk

And sing the little tyke while you change their diaper. Songs you know, songs you'll make up..... It'll have an impressing presence.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

OMG!! Really hard to believe that we are the same species that settled this country in covered wagons. Good grief, man, she's not a porcelain doll, she's just pregnant. Get over yourself. Women have been breeding for thousands of years and a kitchen remodel is hardly hazardous. What does SHE think about it? I bet she's not the Nervous Nelly you obviously are.

Reply to
<h>

LOL. My wife flew regularly as a passenger in a helicopter for business. I was a Nervous Nelly. She delivered after a long day of work and not once did she miss work OR complain.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

There will be very few things that could have any affect. The first that comes to mind is contact adhesive if they are putting down Formica countertops, but even that is better than years ago. Most of the dust, while not good for anyone, is no more harmful that stuff you breath every day. They may solder some copper tubing, but in the whole remodel, that may be 20 minutes where she should avoid the fumes.

With a little common sense, very little to be concerned about. I&#39;d go ahead.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Woah, there. Stop everything -- or at least don&#39;t start it until you do some research.

Make SURE your home is either (a) lead free, (b) built after 1978, or (c) you plan to use lead-safe work practices. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. Some group in your area -- probably a not-for-profit, anti- poverty agency can test your home and help find contractors.

Also check out:

you are doing the work yourself, go get the training.

I&#39;m going to repeat myself: It is absolutely critical that you use lead-safe work practices or ensure that you have no lead in the house.

Reply to
Pat

send her to las vegas while you complete the job.

Reply to
buffalobill

Your only problem is time! You wont have any spare after the baby is born. Do it now.

Ditto with uranium (it decomposes to lead) :)Þ

Reply to
dadiOH

Get control of the timeframe. If you pay upfront, the job may not get done in a reasonable time. Sometimes there is formaldehyde degassing, so having some ventilation (fresh air) is a good idea. Try not to fuss too much--it will only add to the stress factor.

Reply to
Phisherman

An excellent suggestion. Well, maybe no uranium (that would be a different problem altogether) but while he&#39;s doing pre-baby work, he should check for Radon.

Reply to
Pat

Of all the stupid places to pose such a question ... go see her doctor.

Reply to
Twayne

If you make a reasonable effort to contain the dust from the demo portion of the job, it should not create a hazard very different than just living in the home. From the work you describe, I can&#39;t imagine a hazard particular to a pregnant woman. I would worry more if you were sanding old (lead) paint. You can tape up tarps to close up the room, cover the vents in the room, clean up with shop vac. Flu season is far more dangerous to early pregnancy than the work you describe. Last time I checked, the routine advice for pregnancy is to keep doing what you normally do. My daughter was riding horses when pg, although not great advice for the early days.

Reply to
Norminn