OK to put wire mesh on the inside of roof vents?

I've got some critters in the walls/ceiling. I imagine it's squirrels, as they're making too much noise for mice. I can here them scratching and rolling objects around at night. I recently had some surgery, so it will probably be another week before I can drag my butt up into the attic to check. But we had a new roof put on about a year ago, so I suspect they're getting in through the new and improved roof vents. Assuming they are getting in through the roof vents, I was wondering if I could staple some heavy metal mesh over the inside of the roof vents to keep them out temporarily? Would this hold up to a Squirrel attack or are they likely to push the staples out? I will get the roofing company to fix the vents when it warms up, but I was hoping this might work for now.
we had them once, we thought they were bowling on the night shift! the one i saw shinnying up the 4" house corner molding of our clapboard house had to be stopped with a sheet metal 18" barrier he couldn't shinny past. overhanging tree branches were the primary route to the chew-thru behind the gutter above the 2nd floor. they are very hard to evict, the longer you wait the more they will stink up the house if part of the litter dies. forget about mothballs, hire the local trapper. get started asap: http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/chemung/publications/squirrels.pdf
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/beasts/default.asp?metatags_Action=Find ('PID','8')
Bill Stock wrote:

YES, start by removing all branches that are near the roof, If they cant get up there, they wont come in.

Mice make a lot of noise for their size.

Depends on what you mean by staples. A staple gun staple is probably too weak, a hammer in fencing staple should work fine. Roofing nails work good too. Use washers on them if necessary, or use screws with washers for easy removal, such as drywall screws or just plain wood or sheet metal type screws.

They can easily climb one of the Chimneys to the roof. So sealing the entries (once I find them) is a more viable option. They were stealing the rocks from around the pond all summer, so I expect to find a bed of stones eventually.

I never heard of squirrels stealing rocks. I think you are blaming the wrong critter. I suggest you find someone to get into that attic really soon..... I can not think of any critter that would steal rocks other than digging dogs who would just bury them in their holes.

LOL, I would not have believed it either, except I've seen them do it numerous times. They're not really rocks, but small "creek stone", mostly around 1". Perhaps our squirrels (Blacks and Greys) are just mentally challenged.
Bill Stock wrote:

All of the vents I have looked at include screening. How do you know yours do not?

I'm not even sure the vents are the entry point. But I do know that I did not have any critters before the roofing job. I realize this doesn't prove much, but it's a starting point. As for screening on the vents, the buggers have chewed through the "squirrel proof" screen on the patio door twice.

imho:
I saw a show where they used a heavy gauge, tight weeve screen attached to the inside of a gable vent to prevent animals (mice this case) from entering a house. I wondered about something, what about the ones already inside the attic?
I heard a trick to get squirrels out of an attic, get some cologne uncap it, and leave the bottle upright in the attic. The foreign smell is suppose to drive away squirrels. Once your attic is squirrel free, put up the heavy gauge wire mesh.
Not doing the work, so this is all guessing, however you might be interfering with your attics ventulation. So you might want to get incontact with the company that did the work a year ago. They might want to check the vents for damage, and there might be a warranty if they 'failed'.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Most animals have no problems with organic natural smells such as excrement, ammonia (urine), probably perfume and so on, what they do have problems coping with are chemical smells that they are not used to. Since you cannot use flammable fluids, the trick is to find a powerful chemical type door that drives them out plus one that you can live with as it will leak into the house.

Thanks, I'm not too crazy about cologne myself, allergies. If I lose any more sleep, I'll be taking my pellet gun up to the attic.

http://ag.arizona.edu/urbanipm/rodents/roofrat.pdf