OK to paint outside when overnight temps below freezing?

I have a few small areas to paint. I can do them during the day when it's > 40F, but overnight it will drop below freezing. Is that a problem? Do I just need to wait until spring?

I have a small bit of siding on a dormer and a bit of trim. I can easily get it painted in 40F and it will have a few hours to dry, but

6 to 8 hours later it's likely to drop below freezing.
Reply to
kansascats

I frequently make use of a hair dryer.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

is it on a suth-facing wall, does it get any sun to help it dry?

Reply to
hrhofmann

your better off waiting till spring, next time paint before fall........

adhesion will be better in warm weather

Reply to
bob haller

What does the paint can label say? Most of mine suggest minimum teperatures for application.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

answers to questions..

-- the dormer side is facing south and the dormer front facing west, so both will get sun through 4pm or so

-- generally fall here is the best time to paint - Sep-mid Nov. More rain in the spring and summers can be hot (85-100) and humid (50+)

-- BM Moorgard -- 40F minimum

I'm going to call it quits until spring for all other parts of the house, but was wondering about that south and west side of the dormer and a bit of fascia. It's been washed and caulked. Some of that may need to get redone if I don't paint now. Painting would take about an hour. After that area I need to wash and prep the other areas, so there's no chance to paint until spring. I do have a fair bit of fascia that also could be painted, but other than than newly primed fascia and door trim on the shop, it too an wait. But I don't want to redo all this if temperature is going to be an issue.

While we are here -- what caulk do folks use? I've been using DAP ALEX plus (the silicone additive latex)

Reply to
kansascats

I sent an email off to BM -- we'll see if they respond. I'll post their answer here.

Reply to
kansascats

You'll be fine with Aura, Regal Select, or Ben. All the newer paints with the Gennex pigment system are fast drying. Start as early in the day as you can after the surface temp is at least 40 degrees.

Reply to
BonnettDecorating

From BM..

As long as you follow the guidelines provided in my first missive, you should be fine. Wait until the Spring time would be my advice.

-----

Thank you -- so then would painting at 45F from 11am to 2pm, and then the temps dropping down to say 30F by midnight be a problem?

By 11am, I'm assuming all the morning dew is gone. The temps from

11am to 2pm woud be > 40F. By 5pm, sundown, the temps would still be 40F, but then it would drop off and go below freezing by early AM.

Again -- this is just for a few small locations on exterior siding and trim.