Ok to apply second rolled roofing over first?

Hi.

I want to apply a second rolled roof over another rolled roof and would like some tips and opinions please. For me its economical and I can do it myself.

I have a 12 x 18 3 season attached porched with black ashpalt rolled roofing that is looking kind of shabby. It has some ashphalt coming loose, but the basic roofing is intact. The ends are not curled, but is looking thin from shoveling snow off of it, etc.

I would like to apply rolled ashphalt roofing that has a sticky backing all over the undersurface. I used this stuff to roof a shed and it seals everywhere and works great. I want to also add new drip edges on sides and outside edge.

I plan to sweep current roof with stiff brush to remove all loose material. Nail drip edge (about 3" wide stuff") on 3 sides. And on a warm but not hot day, lay the new roof on the old about the same position as the first starting from the outside and overlapping about

4 strips to cover eave of house the same as before.

Is this okay and will it work? Any tips, sugestions? Thanks.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Yeah- take the extra hour to strip the old roof and do it right. Clean stripped deck is the proper way to go. When new roof gets a leak, and it will, all flat or near flat roofs do- the extra layer of roof will make the leak migrate and be impossible to track down. And if you read the package for the sticky stuff, I'll bet it says it needs to be applied to fresh properly nailed felt.

Just for laughs, you may also want to look at metal standing-seam roofing. For a simple square shape like that, it could even be a DIY application, if you can find someone to make and sell you the correct lengths all precut and preformed. (takes special tools to do the top and bottom folds.) Properly installed, beats all the heck out of roll asphalt- that is why you see it on farmer porches and and sheds all the time. Close to zero upkeep, even if the upfront cost is higher.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Hi. Thanks for the reply!

How do I remove the old rolled roof? Heat gun? Is their a special scraper? I'll search the net for this info too.

And I'll search about the metal standing roof too. Can you walk on it? I have to to get to main part of roof to shovel snow sometimes and must walk on it. IT also butts up to 2 foot wide tin snow edge on top eave of main house. I wonder how it will connect there? Maybe use good caulking or glue to seal it there?

Thanks Again.

Fred

Reply to
Fred