Ok, so can I replace my own water heater?

I've been floating around the past few days on this subject. It looks easy but the gas has me a bit worried. It seems that all I need to do is a bit of pipe work and the thing should be ok. The vent looks tough. The current on really doesn't slope up much if at all, and I've read it should go up an inch every four feet.

The new heaters all seem to be a bit taller than the old one, so it will be even worse without major work venting it higher through the wall. I guess I need to find a water heater that is the same height or a bit lower. That seems to be tough so far.

And gas does scare me just a wee bit.

Reply to
dgk

carbon monoxide should scare you a lot. Make real sure you know what your doing or at least have a professional handle that part of the job

Reply to
RBM

Search for a shorter heater. They are out there. Don't depend on the big box stores.

Gas work is not rocket surgery. Get the needed permits, and ask questions of the inspectors if you need to. I have found them VERY helpful as long as you do your homework first. Their advice is way more reliable than the kid at the hardware store.

Ideally, you can disconnect the old heater, ending up with a 1/2" male or female thread to which you can attach a flex line to the heater. Use pipe dope on any pipe thread connections you make, and tighten things well. (careful on the heater itself) Don't disturb any pipe joints you want to keep. Use 2 wrenches to avoid twisting them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Mix some dishwashing soap with water and paint it on all joints after tightening. Active bubbling means you have a leak.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm no pro, and someone will probably quickly post something to say this is bad... but I replaced my water heater and had a similar problem. I ended up using that flexable stuff, the same stuff that is on my clothes dryer. I didn't get a permit, but I did have my gas furnace replaced a few months later (hired a pro for that one) and the contractor and inspector both said what I did looks fine and technicly didn't violate any codes (the inspector was only looking at the heater, but I'm guessing he would have busted me for not getting a permit if he had thought it was a possible safety issue).

I installed a carbon monoxide detector just outside the closet with the water heater and furnace, just incase.

Also watch out for the width (diameter), that was almost a major problem on the one I got. I got the most energy effecient one I could find (got it at Sears), which turns out to be a lot wider since it has more insulation. The contractor that did the heater kept asking me why I really needed that much hot water, even though I explained twice that it was the same number of gallons as the one I removed, just a lot bigger anyway.

I had to re-route the blow-off drain pipe because of the extra width. Also watch out for the location of that blow-off valve (not sure if I'm calling it the right thing, but the valve that opens if the presure gets too high), seems like some of those are a little different. Usually the top connections are the same, but on the one I got that valve was a little different if I remember correctly.

Check where you live, but here the gas company will do a free leak test for you. I think it is supposed to be only for new appliances, because they want you to convert from electric to gas, but I bet they would do it for replacement as well, since I could have replaced with electric (not that I had the extra amps available).

Reply to
eselk

Ever think of going to electric?

I have had it for many years, no vents, no gas leaks, no pilots, less expensive, and easy to install. Plus you might get a kilowatt reduction dicount from the power company.

I never ran out of water, and we had 2 teenagers in the house, my son was a catcher in baseball, had dirty uniforms every night!

Just a thought, all you need is a 35 amp 240 volt circuit.

Reply to
Bumpy

The *floating around* on the subject ; tells me you have time to get a permit, if necessary. Call a local permit authority office.

In an emergency I replaced a WH, but needed to bring too code when I sold the home. The latter code required an earthquake strap.

Our local gas company will render a free connect and inspection. Realtors use this all the time to check/connect gas appliances.

-- Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Reply to
Oren

I've done it. There should be a shutoff on the gas line within a few feet of the water heater. If there is already a flex line connecting the old heater, you should be able to adapt it to the new one. If the old heater was attached via all hard piping, you may need to install a flex connector or make some other adjustment to the piping. The vent issue does sound tough. When you say "through the wall" do you mean the vent goes through the wall and directly outside, or does it go into a chimney? -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

The only difficult part is the weight of the sucker. Hint: The old one is easier to move if you drain it first (40 gallons of water x 8# per gallon =

240 pounds) (Hint #2: A pint's a pound the world around)

Gas connection is dirt simple with a flexible metal hose and either the appropriate Teflon tape (grey) or pipe dope.

As for venting, if the new heater is taller than the old, saw off some of the existing vent pipe. If the existing vent doesn't line up very well with the new heater, exhaust pipe "union" or "twistable" connectors are available.

In the best of all worlds, the vent pipe should be double-walled.

Hint: If you leave the old heater on the curb, the urban faeries will dissapear it overnight.

Hint 2: I don't know if they're standard, but the electronic ignition for the pilot is nice.

Reply to
HeyBub

Why would you attempt a DIY project without the proper training? I mean, it's not like your going to waste yarn on a scarf, this project could *kill* you and your loved ones.

Reply to
<kjpro

Too often, I see people using pipe dope on flare fittings. Just recently, I came across a water heater with a male flare screwed into the valve!!! They couldn&#39;t figure out why it keep leaking. This is one task that should be left to a professional!!

Reply to
<kjpro

It&#39;s not the same stuff...

Reply to
<kjpro

I DON&#39;T KNOW WHY DON&#39;T YOU TELL ME, DUMBASS? HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF YOU CAN DO DICK WITH YOUR WATER HEATER OR NOT IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH DICKING AROUND WITH YOUR WATER HEATER THEN WHY NOT HIRE SOMEBODY ELSE TO FUCK AROUND WITH IT AND ACTUALLY KNOWS DICK ABOUT WHAT THEY&#39;RE DOING?

Reply to
Paige D'Winter

You&#39;re not to reuse an old gas flex... try reading the instructions.

Reply to
<kjpro

Exhaust pipe &#39;union", I thought I&#39;d heard it all...

Reply to
<kjpro

Electric cheaper than gas? In NYC? With ConEd? Not likely here. Even with gas going through the roof, they&#39;ll just raise the electric to make up for it. Plus, the whole house is 100 amp I think. That needs to be redone as well.

Reply to
dgk

I called the 311 city info line today and asked about permits. They said that only a contractor needs a permit. A homeowner is on their own. Seems fishy to me but that&#39;s what they said.

I don&#39;t have too much time either. I just turned it back on to take a shower, but when I&#39;m done I&#39;m shutting it all back down.

ConEd does nothing for free but I&#39;ll give them a call.

How about the flex stuff folks? My plumber, who can&#39;t get to the for a least a week, said not to use it. Other folks say it&#39;s fine.

Reply to
dgk

Chimney, with a liner. I&#39;m in no hurry to mess with it.

Reply to
dgk

Thanks, the water part did occur to me. There is a drain and it looks like a hose will fit perfectly. Run it outside and down the drain in the driveway. The things really aren&#39;t very heavy once the water is out.

My plumber said that flex stuff is no good, but he might be a bit old fashioned. There isn&#39;t much vent pipe to trim off really, but it looks like if it&#39;s only an inch taller I can get away with it. All of them seem to be around 58" and the current one is 57.

Reply to
dgk

Training. Well, I&#39;ve read a ton about doing it on internet in the last two days. There have been several projects where I started out thinking that I couldn&#39;t do it and managed.

I asked the maintenance guy at work. He doesn&#39;t have the time but knows a plumber who can do it. So, I&#39;ll probably work with him. I buy the heater, he&#39;s got the tools and pipes.

Reply to
dgk