OK, now about attic insulation...

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Randy R wrote:

I have a big attic in a 120yo house which was mostly uninsulated. In Wisconsin, that's bad news.
About half of it I used fiberglass batts, and the areas with the easiest access I used two layers of R10 2 inch pink solid foam sheets over the wood floor with carpet squares over the styrofoam to protect it and used that area as storage.
The house came with a lifetime supply of carpet squares in the attic and basement so that part was cheap and easy. I was concerned about moisture buildup under and around the styrofoam but after spot checks this winter have found no signs of condensation accumulating.
--
The notion that the church, the press, and the universities should
serve the state is essentially a Communist notion ... In a free society

A "little" stronger?
No, a LOT stronger.
Mind-experiment:
Yardstick supported at the ends by two tables.
Plus a hook, string, and weight.
Question: by what factor can you increase the weight (without breaking the yardstick) by hanging the weight instead of at the middle of the span, one inch from an end?
Two inches?
Five inches?
ZERO inches?
David
fire code says you have to have an access hatch to attics. the best thing for attics is insulation as they are outside of the houses venalation system (ussually). if you need storage space so bad built an outbuilding or better yet cull your crap. iv seen peeps with rotting molding "treasures" from the 70s. blow in more insulation toss the crap and live freer w/ lower heating bills