ok for hot/cold to mix in shower cutoff valve?

I have a leaking shower (two-handle, washers have been replaced by plumber every few years, still leaks), and I was thinking of just putting a shower cutoff valve on the shower head, the one where you turn off the knob while soaping up to save water and then turn on the knob to rinse off, and of course I would turn the knob to off when not using the shower (ie. almost 24/7). But my concern is that with the leak, the hot and cold water would always be mixing behind this cutoff valve - is this true? Any harm in doing so?
I could just get a plumber to replace the old shower faucet and then a tile guy to replace the tiles, but that's a lot of $$. If I do replace the shower faucet, though, should I get a two-handle or a single-handle? The other shower in the house has an old Moen single- handle which works fine. Also, is there any inexpensive way (fiberglass?) to overlay the existing tile wall, so I don't need to clean the tiles and keep re- caulking the seam to the fiberglass shower base?
Thanks.
if you do put a shutoff in the shower head then it is possible to have the hot water bypass into your cold water line

...and vise-versa. It will flow in the direction of the draw. Hot demand elsewhere will draw from the cold side where it normally would be mixed in the shower between the valves. Some valves prevent this from happening (one-way only).
bob
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Assuming the leak is on the order of drops, any water transfered from hot to cold will be minimal with the minor pressure differences the two will see if you do shut off the faucets and the shower cutoff. Unless the shutoff valve really shuts off completely, it may not solve your problem, but it won't be a mixing problem of any consequence.
Is it possible that replaceing the valve parts with new ones could fix it? Valve stems, etc are available at any plumbing supply store.
You really shouldn't need a plumber to replace faucet washers. It is a trivial task in most cases.

if you have access to the backside of this shower there are cover plates so no tile work is needed.
one of the best improvements I made was replacing my old 3 handle valve with a delta temperature flow control one, a single handle with a temp control tat holds the shower to within 3 degrees of where its set.
ended drips hassles washer replacements etc etc added lots of comfort, no more scald if someone ran cold water elsewhere
my only regret was not doing it years ago

I was considering a worst-case senario...as in, forgetting to shut-off the hot and cold valves.

I am unsure of what you are saying here, does the shower leak after teh plumber is done or after a couple of years on a set of washers?
I suspect that you could probably learn to do this job yourself. This would be a lot cheaper than a plumber
If I do

I really like the new ceramic disk fixtures. I installed an American Standard faucet in my bath 15 years ago and not one drip. The handles turn as easy today as when the thing was new.
--

Roger Shoaf

That just reminded me of my house. When we moved here, I was changing faucet washers frequently. I installed a whole house sediment filter and have not changed one in the past 15 years now. The town water has enough solids it was causing rapid wear.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I was thinking of buying a two handle shower tub control. One knob for temperature and one for flow. They come that way, and I don't know if they control the mixing your talking about.
My concern was using a single handle control, which should work just fine for trickling cold water into the bat tub for the cat to drink when he asks.
greg