Oil vs. latex? ? ?

I'm at a point where I need to decide whether to use and oil or a water-based paint in repainting a porch floor. Both types seem to be available in porch & floor paints. Any experience welcome.
Hi, IMO, today's Latex paint are so good, no reason to use oil based. Just get some good quality brand name one. Why bother with messy oil based? I just did my porch this summer with Behr brand porch paint. Worked out very good. Tony
Ray Jenkins wrote:

Yes the lowes paints were highly rated IAW consumer reports.
Thanks Tony -- I'd much prefer to use a latex than oil.
The only problem is, this is an old porch with many layers of oil paint, including some with lead, so I can't do much sanding.
The last coat I put on, about 10 years ago, was an oil-based marine paint which held up pretty well.
The question is, I guess, if I put on a coat of high-grade primer, like Zinsser's, can I safely move from oil to latex?

No you dont use kilz or whatever. You read the instructions on the can, and follow them. Latex doesnt bond to gloss or dirt like oil. Oil wears longer. Deal with a real paint store , and a pro. Get the recomendations from the manufacturer and a real paint store All jobs are unique.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:23:10 GMT, "Ray Jenkins"

    Latex will work fine. A good latex should last as long as your oil paint did. Get porch and deck paint. Use a high-quality brand (not something from the borg). I'd tend toward Benjamin Moore unless I could find something better.
    As to primers, use the primer suggested on the can of top coat. If it does not speicify a special primer for porches, Zinssers should work fine.
    You will have to do enough sanding to get a good surface for paint to stick.
    Here's a tip: When you have applied the final coat and before it is dry, sprinkle sand on the surface. It will embed into the paint and give some traction when the surface is wet from rainwater.
    Good luck.
                Peter