oil to gas converter purchase

We bought our first home last yr which has an oil to gas converter. We tookover the rental agreement from the former owner (now deceased) for $18.90/mo. It was raised last month to $22 with the option to purchase for $1300. This seems a tad steep considering it's "used."
Would you continue to rent or buy your own? I assume that there is a service contract on this but I have to admit, I haven't checked into it. Winter is right around the corner in New England.
Your input is appreciated.
Michelle New Bedford, MA
How about looking into a new 94.5% efficient gas unit, I bet you are getting 80%

In five years you'll have paid for it. Why was the rental increased? If it is the same price of equipment, it seems the price should remain constant for the life of the rental. If service is included, that may be a factor.
I'd look into a new system. You may save enough in fuel to pay for it if you compare the new systems to the lesser efficient ones. Shop around.