Oil stain & smell in utility room

Have you tried cat litter? It worked very well for oil spilled on concrete by a neighbor in our condo. City recommended the cat litter. $2. Just spread on the concrete, mash it in with your feet, leave for day or two.

Reply to
Norminn

The former utility room in our home had an oil-fired water heater which, over the years, leaked a good bit of oil. We have now emptied the room and plan to turn it into a food pantry, but the oil stains (and odor) are seemingly permanently set into the concrete floor. We have tried a variety of methods to remove the stain and smell, but nothing has worked and the oil smell is _very_ strong.

The current floor is basically a concrete subfloor - currently you step down into the room (the concrete is about 6" below the threshold of the door into the room).

I am considering pouring a new layer of concrete - maybe 2-4" - and allowing it to set, then redoing the room from there. My only concern is that the smell might still find its way into the room, which would then be even more difficult to solve.

Does this sound like a good solution to the problem, to just cover it over entirely?

Thanks! jtf

Reply to
judetf

We've tried _all_ the tricks (including cat litter). This is an accumulation of probably 15 years of drips at the water heater. It has permeated the concrete; I could be wrong, but I don't think there is going to be any way to get it "out" short of tearing out the concrete. So I'm hoping that pouring a new layer will take care of the problem, but would love some thoughts on that approach.

Thanks again. jtf

Reply to
judetf

Concrete sealer and paint.

Reply to
HeyBub

You didn't acid etch the floor (trick)? Etching and sealing might help you.

If you are serious about pouring cement: my thought was to use a butyl membrane, like a shower pan is made.

ymmv

Reply to
Oren

Personally, I would soak and wash the concrete with a strong detergent mix, then etch the surface with a strong acid wash followed by baking soda to neutralize it. Then as the other poster suggested cover the concrete with shower membrane with all edges caulked and sealed, possibly a few inches up the wall. Then pour concrete to level with your other floors and finish as you choose.

Reply to
EXT