Oil stain in concrete

Page 1 of 2
Any suggestions on removing or at least improving the appearance of an old oil stain in a concrete driveway. Thanks.
<< Any suggestions on removing or at least improving the appearance of an old oil stain in a concrete driveway. >>
Your neighbors will all understand if you park an Italian car over the the spot. An old Alfa Romeo will be very much at home covering the blemish. If you live in an upscale neighborhood, the Ferarri F430 is a good choice as they won't be looking at the concrete then. Otherwise blacktopping over the whole thing may be the only effective solution. Good luck.
Joe

You could try scrubbing it with "gunk", which is a grease removal from the car parts store, or "goop", which is a waterless hand cleaner. Then rinse with a hard water spray or pressure washer. My best guess before any research.
OR: http://www.ehow.com/how_9136_remove-oil-grease.html http://www.tipking.com/tip/4542.html http://www.thefrugallife.com/grease.html http://www.rempelbros.com/Tools/Cleaning.htm
All easily found with a google search for "remove grease from concrete".
Bob
Yeah I found and knew about the cat litter one but I've heard it doesn't really work and I figured the different web sites are just researching it from each other. Was looking for some personal experiences out there.

Art wrote:

You might want to try spray on oven cleaner. My kids former car leaked like a sieve, so I would throw sawdust on it every time he left, but every 6 months or so I would have to do heavy duty cleaning. It might take two or three sprayings and washings if there is a lot of oil or a deep stain. And you may still need to rub it with a pumice block or a brick and kitty litter to get the cleaned area to blend with the rest of the area.
Would you be talking about the old fashion highly caustic over cleaners or the newer less caustic ones. Thanks.

The grease can be removed but surrounding area may be noticeably different, It depends on how clean you need it and if it just for looks.
Yep! Standard spray on oven cleaner that contains sodium hydroxide (lye). Stand up wind so it doesn't get in your eyes and nose.
Art wrote:

Art wrote:

By itself it is good for getting up the oil on the surface of the concrete. It does not get the stain out. However combined with naphtha it does a good job. Add the cat litter, then soak it with the naphtha and keep it damp for at least 5-10 minutes. Note: the old style, non scoopable, stuff works best.
Nothing is going to get it all out.
If the stain is in a garage, I suggest using a good epoxy (two part) garage concrete floor paint, following the instructions exactly. Then the oil will not be absorbed and you will be able to clean it up.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 05:41:59 GMT, "Art"

Cat litter works, just put it down and keep walking on it.

I can't tell you how many times I've yanked engine/transmissions and forgot to drain trans oils ... best way to get it up has always been slide around in it on your back for a while, seems the pores on your back really sop it up quite well, then sprinkle on the cat litter to soak up the remainder - followed by more cat litter and chubby checkers Twisting the night away playing loudly will get everybody dancing. Hard on leather shoe soles though. Sweep it all up, look at your new girl friend and ask her to join you in the shower because you need help scrubbing your back.
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:30:28 GMT, "Art"

Pressure washing or Dawn dishwashing detergent. Concrete driveways are supposed to have (some) stains.
There are cleaners sold at home centers specifically for this. Look in the section with driveway sealers and/or paint.
I tried one. Mediocre results on a different stain.

Previously in alt.home.repair, "Art"

Muriatic acid. Pour on full strength, let sit about 5 minutes, hose off. Be careful of splatter and fumes. Works very well.
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. -Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email
For posterity, if anyone is reading this link, concentrated muriatic acid will dissolve concrete and ruin your driveway.
message

No shit. Everyone knows that pure hydrofluoric acid is the best.

hogwash... muriatic acid will etch the concrete if it's not rinsed properly but the cement won't turn into a puddle of goo just because you but muriatic acid on it.
check out the net, it's a common way to clean heavily soiled concrete. It's even a "use" listed on the bottle of acid.
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. -Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email
But... I would never use it at full strength.
message

Jeez, Never use it full strength. 4 parts Water to 1 part acid will be plenty strong. Use an acid brush and always add acid to water when mixing
message