Oil spots after washing/drying clothes/laundry

In 2003 this discussion thread gave a few insights but hopefully I can get more updated information. I was getting oil spots on my clothes periodically, new Tshirts, cotton especially effected. I bought a new-used washer and dryer and the problem continues. I tried separating wash then line dry and wash then machine dry. It is so intermittent hard to pinbpoint. I do not use softener dryer sheets (one suggested problem). I have a lot of ruined clothing! But what a hassle to have a W/D and still pump money in a laundramat. Any experience in this problem appreciated!
[...]

This happened before in our Maytag washer. I had to remove the agitator (made of plastic) and clean the underside of the agitator and tub portion covered by the agitator. The oil spots went away. BTW, the agitator was stuck and hard to remove.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (harlen) wrote in <neMIg.1321$Cq4.569 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>:

ahh .. I have this problem right now and its driving my wife and I crazy. The problem is .. I have a front loader (sears) , which has NO agitator. And it has done it since new.
As a side note, we bought it when we moved into this house so be fair it started with a new washer AND a newly moved into house .. so maybe it CAN be in the water ..
snipped-for-privacy@fltg.net wrote:

I had a GE washer that did that. The transmission seal at the agitator shaft kept going bad. After numerous repair attempts and ruined clothes, I trashed it.
Wait, are you saying 2 different washers are doing the same thing? Might be coming from your water supply. Are you on a well or city water?
Bob