Oil spill

Page 2 of 3

<stuff snipped>

It's a question of pay a little now to protect so as not to have to pay a lot later to repair what were easily preventable problems. Boy does that ever sound like half the problems people face with home ownership. (-:

Philly has that beat. I recall a story where an EMPTY bus on its way to the depo crashed and close to 300 people claimed to be on board. Thank Judge Joe Brown for helping convey the (false) notion that every mishap that occurs anywhere in the world should be worth at least $5K to the right litigant. ChaChing!
-- Bobby G.

well anyone who gets ill or dies in the area will sue BP for sure, and few if any will have sympathy for the company which is likely well deserved.......
BP company is a dead man walking, and since they historically ran things on the cheap with little concern for safety their company deserves to cease to exist
http://www.examiner.com/x-33986-Political-Spin-Examiner~y2010m6d23-Experts-now-say-BP-oil-well-casing-failed-Relief-wells-may-not-stop-the-Deepwater-Horizon-oil-leak
the relef wells may not work either......
meanwhile theres a hurricane coming, well first tropical; depression of the season named alex........
which will likely pick up oil and dispersant and deposit the toxic brew far inland, stall the relief wells and cap recovery they must be unmanned during hurricane..
and get the gulf waters moving spreading the oil into the loop current and around florida and up the east coast beaches.....
US government is a FAILURE at keeping its citizens safe
-snip-

Yeah, *real* conservatives do. Those like George Will & couple more who I can't remember. But the whining, hyperbolic twits like Limbaugh & Beck; any editorials I've seen on Fox news; and all those who parrot their trash think with their knees. They are giving conservatism and republicanism a *very* bad name.

Ain't bumper stickers handy to help us avoid thinking for ourselves?

Which is a play on CDS [Clinton Derangement Syndrome[ that was coined by the right long before BDS. I agree-- It shows lack of any ability to think logically.
Jim

Which was a play on Nixon DS. Ford and Carter got off because they were such harmless little twits that it was hard to get mad at them, but then it fired up again with Reagan ondown. Just part of the political landscape that the people currently in power decry when it is invoked against their guy, forgetting their own Incumbent-baiting when they were on the sidelines. Beats actually having to humanize your opponent which might mean they see some sliver of agreement. Can't have that in this Day and Age.
and name it after the IRS.
<stuff snipped>

Agreed! We had better figure out how to solve some of the world's problems rather than endlessing bitching about them and blaming "the other guys". I pissed off all my liberal friends who were howling for the blood of officials who were doing what the DOJ said they could do re: interrogation. I told them the more a President looks backwards in anger, the less time he has to look forward in hope.
The same with their bloodlust for Karl Rove, whom many liberals want to see killed and resurrected so they can kill him again. Don't like that US Attorneys serve "at will?" Change the bloody law. You like it enough when your guy's holding the reins, just not when the other side holds them. Both sides play the same sick game, over and over. It's golden when we do it, it's criminal when you do.
It all has to stop somewhere. We're so arrogant. We believe that the US could NEVER descend into another Civil War even as we're obviously descending into just the same kind of polarization we experienced in the 1830's over slavery. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance - on many fronts, not just the obvious ones.
The generations of people we've created by bringing medicine (but not the infrastructure that needs to go with it) to third world countries are maturing now. Who will feed them, house them and clothe them? I suspect they'll riot, turn commie or Taliban and we'll have to go kill the very people whose lives we saved in the first place. Seems incredibly wasteful to me.
-- Bobby G.

Yeah we shoulda just killed them off in the first place and eliminated the middle man (g).
and name it after the IRS.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

My view is that Limbaugh and Beck are more entertainers than anything else. Still, Beck is the epitome of logical thinking; he has flow charts and everything. His premise may be wrong, but his logic is impeccable - sorta like a paranoiac.
I don't think Fox News does editorials. They DO have opinion writers and presenters, but I've never seen an editorial in the name of the organization.

Or to make you think.
For example, "It takes a FOOL to spell 'loofa' "
HeyBub wrote:

Entertainers? Gack! More like S/M :o)

Yeh, they make me think I'll change the channel again.

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:35:53 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Beck can't be all wrong. He hates soccer. Me too!
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

They could put a big cork on the end of a torpedo and fire it into the well.
--
LSMFT

Hustlin' Hank wrote:

The story as I understand it is that if the flow was completely shut off, it would cause the well to rupture at a different point. Never expected that I would begin to understand how oil wells work...I thought ya' just drill a big hole and yell "gusher" :o)

So if the blowout preventer had shut it off it would have ruptured the pipe? I don't think so.
--
LSMFT

<stuff snipped>

There's some evidence that BP used substandard piping that could indeed rupture further down if the cap succeeds. I've read from more than one source that at least some geologists fear that if that happens, oil could begin coming up in places far from the well head. There's some video evidence from some of the robot DSV's that this has already started happening.
http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/oil_spill_containment_efforts.html says:
"In a well of questionable design with a questionable cement job that's gone through a major explosion, too much pressure on the well could trigger a rupture, sending oil pushing through fissures in the rock of the ocean floor and bubbling up through the seabed, where it can't be contained. That's why BP abruptly stopped the "top kill" efforts to seal the well May 28 after the company previously had said the procedure would continue for a few more days. It's also why the company is continuing with efforts to contain the oil flowing out of the well rather than seal the well outright by adding another blowout preventer on top of the malfunctioning one. It's also one reason why the containment cap that's currently capturing oil has vents in the side that allow pressure to escape."
From what I've read the problem is strong concentrations of highly pressurized methane gas coming up with the oil. Gas seeps far more easily than crude, and "paves" openings for the crude to come up through fissures. The reason that haven't been able to close it off quickly is that it's a hell of a complicated problem happening way down in the inky, cold dark water.
It's something I've experience doing home plumbing. Fix a leaky faucet and the now increased pressure in the whole system forces another leak to appear elsewhere.
Like the collapse of the WTC, when a disaster of this magnitude occurs, we really don't have the expertise to deal with correctly from the start, but we do tend to do a much better job the next time. This will happen again but with the right tools on standby and ready to roll, the results won't be as disastrous.
Bobby G.
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

My solution for capturing the oil is to make a huge tank, like a hot air balloon...have no idea of a flexible material that might hold oil. Said balloon has a heavy lead or concrete ring at the base and the ring is lowered over the pipe. "Balloon" fills with oil, rises to surface and is captured. It can have a flexible valve, like a heart valve, to prevent outflow. Line them up and keep filling them until the relief wells are done.
<stuff snipped>

That's not a bad idea at all. Might not be workable this time because no one's got the giant condoms ready, but it could be a very effective solution for the inevitable next deepwater disaster.
Didn't we learn anything when they drilled the world's deepest mine shaft on the old B&W Superman TV show and those little bald guys came up the shaft and starting shooting people with a raygun that took two of them to aim and fire? (-:
-- Bobby G.
<stuff snipped>

We touched on this a little in the "rat out" thread. What typically happens to someone who complains about unsafe working conditions? Well, they don't typically have to face them after complaining because they would be out of a job. But what about the Whistleblower statutes? They are there to procted such people. The truth is that they should be renamed the Whistle and Bend Over statutes. They hardly ever work.
-- Bobby G.

Friend of mine watched Titanic and commented: "At least in the Titanic you can see where the money went on the screen. The only way you can see it in Waterworld is if the water is all Perrier." Costner does tend to be a little self-indulgent.

and name it after the IRS.
If no when BP goes bankrupt the auction of its assets like the alaska oil pipeline, refernies etc will easily pay all the damages.
Hopefully BPO wouldnt go to just one oil company it should be broken up spread around to the other companies to maintain just a bit of competition....
the stockholders will get zip.........

Sounds like you'd like to see this bankruptcy happen? Instead of BP surviving and using it's earnings to pay claims. Seems like a high price to pay, particularly for the stockholders and employees just to make some people feel good by getting revenge.