Oil Pump Replaced; Now, Noise Whenever Burner is Running

There is a vibration noise occurring whenever the burner motor is running. This noise is not audible when in the basement, but is obvious from upstairs/main floor. Noise began immediately after the burner oil pump was replaced.

I know that there is a flexible shaft involved that connects the motor's output shafft to the oil pump's shaft. How should the repair guy ensured that there was no binding anywhere along those three shafts?

What is the repair procedure for alignment of the motor shaft? Is the drive motor mounting to be shifted vertically or is the oil pump to be shifted ?

Reply to
Vince

Most of the time, the "shaft" is a plastic "King Coupler". It is cut to fit the application. Sometimes if it is cut crooked, it will cause vibration. The vibration may not be heard standing right next to the unit, but can viabrate through the oil lines and cause all kinds of racket throughout the rest of the house. The other thing that can happen is the blower wheel (on the burner) can be bent a little causing vibration. Sometimes when this happens, the noise will go away once the couple is "broken in".

I would probably call the service company back and explain to them what is happening and see if they would come back out and remedy the situation. The only thing i could suggest that YOU could try (and maybe you wouldn't feel comfortable doing) is to loosen up or tighten the motor mounts or the pump mounts on the burner. Just don't loosen or tighten the bolts too much. Just a little at a time. Sometimes that can get rid of the vibration.

First I would see if they would come back out.......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I have politely asked the service company to return to make adjustments. Thus far, they have refused/ignored my request.

So, I am looking to make an adjustment myself.

Is it a trial and error approach to shifting the motor housing under the mounting bolts ?

Reply to
Vince

Try the pump side first. The bottom bolt. Try loosening it up a 1/4 turn. Maybe a little more. If that doesn't do it, try the motor side. Don't do it so much that it's going to fall off (or tightening it til the bolt snaps). Just do a little at a time and see if that quiets it down.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab