Oil primer over latex paint?

I've just bought a house that's about 85 years old, and I have just sanded, pressure washed, and TSP-ed the exterior, in that order. I am now ready to prime the house. The problem is, some of the cedar siding has been replaced recently, and the entire exterior has been painted with latex paint. I got *most* of it off by sanding, and there's a lot of bare wood showing. I'd like to use an oil primer to penetrate into that bare wood, but I'm worried about an oil primer sticking to the existing latex paint.
I've searched the archives, but everything seems to deal with latex over oil, not the other way around. I'm a bit worried, truthfully, that I'm going to spend all this time (and money--everything's so damn expensive these days) carefully applying a coat of primer to my new/ old house and it's going to be peeling off in 6 months.
Should I just sacrifice the penetration of the oil primer for the compatibility of the latex?
TIA,
Phil Crow
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nothing wrong with using oil primer over latex, and oil primer is choice for cedar. If the latex stuck through sanding and pw, it isn't going to come off. Might be good to apply two coats where you have bare wood. Be very serious about caulking.

Oil primer is for Bare wood. Not for going over Latex.

As long as it sticks, and the latex is stuck, which it seems to be, it'll be fine.
No sense going apeshit prepping a job that will have to be redone in a few years anyway.
I think it's wisest to remember to assess the point of diminishing return, and it sounds to me like the OP has arrived there. -----
- gpsman
Mike wrote:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/painting_techniques/painting_problem_solver/dirt/Tanning_Staining/index.jsp

Nonsense.
--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On May 16, 10:32 am, Dave Balderstone

A well prepped paint job on cedar can last 10 years or more.
Stain on cedar: true, it will be less likely to peel, but even solid color stains will definitely need to be redone more frequently than paint--3-5 years?
Oil primer over latex is probably fine, but check with a paint store professional or the manufacturer.
On May 15, 6:51am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cedar should not be painted it should be stained , solid stain looks like paint but wont peel as bad, Use oil primer and it will take 2-3x the amount you estimate, spraying oil stain would be best for the first coat to seal it, in following years Latex can be used.