Oil paint - how long to dry?

I used an oil-based primer (in the heated basement) on some lumber that is going to be placed outside. It is now 24 hrs later, and the paint is still sticky: it shows fingerprints and even leaves paint on my fingers.

The directions for use do say that one should wait at least 24 hrs before recoating, but is it reasonable that it is still actually sticky after this time?

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister