Oil Over Latex Paint ?

Hello,

Not very sharp re painting.

I know latex paint over oil paint is O.K., but have have heard that oil over latex is not.

Is this universally true, or... ?

What actually happens ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

No. Not universally true. It depends, in part, on whether the alkyd is enamel or flat. I don't know of a book that says so, just my own experience. Latex semi on top of alkyd enamel is a bear. It doesn't adhere well and is difficult to repaint, especially on doors and trim, because it won't sand. Sanding makes the latex roll and/or peel. If properly cleaned, deglossed and primed, it might work better. Either kind of flat over the other probably works fine. If a latex paint is smoothe and clean, you can probably put alkyd paint over it.

There is a big difference between "dry" and "cured"....if one type is put over the other without sufficient curing, it would likely cause problems; this is where oil and water don't mix and the rest of the curing gives off vapors that are trapped.

Here in Florida, most new building is concrete block and stucco. I have read that acryllic/latex semi is the preferred exterior paint for that. Lots of folks, from what I read, are using water based paint for wood siding, but haven't seen it around here. On oily wood, like cedar and redwood, a stain blocking alkyd primer should be used, I believe. Best to check out a webside for a good paint company, like Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams, for the particular project especially if there are problem areas.

Reply to
Norminn

Read the can, as long as what you paint is clean and not glossy anything goes over anything

Reply to
ransley