Oil over latex? ? ?

Can I safely put a coat of oil paint over a recently-painted coat of latex?
Would I need to prime?
As long as its Flat oil, Gloss ,sand or prime.
You didn't say whether the latex was flat or shiny, makes a difference. You will however not gain any advantges to doing this as your fnish will only be as strong as it's base or primer. Al p.s. mark ransely is an idiot
call - me -al If you knew anything about paint you didnt show it , just stupidity.

It depends on whether the latex or the oil paint will end up on the sweatier side. Latex lets moisture pass through it, but oil doesn't, so if you paint the outside of house with latex, then you can't use oil over it since moisture from the house will become trapped underneath the oil. On the other hand, if your interior walls have latex on them, you can probably put oil paint over them without problem (sometimes used as a vapor barrier).
The paint can will tell you if you have to prime (doesn't anybody read directions?), but you usually do.
Thanks -- exactly what I needed to know.

I just had a terrible second thought based on your message. I put two coats of oil porch and floor paint over one coat of that high-adhesion Zinsser 1-2-3 waterbased primer.
Sounds to me as if I may have done exactly what you say I shouldn't have done.
-- Ray