Oil leaking from bottom of Washing Machine

My clothes washing machine is leaking oil from the bottom on to the floor. (I thought these machines had a belt drive off an AC motor (as opposed to a gear box)).
Where's it leaking from, and any tips on fixing it myself?
Thanks,
Ian
When your car leaks you dont drive it , Right Get it looked at by a pro before you cost yourself more

I had a washing machine to leak oil about 10 years back and it was the transmission. That thing was knocking like mad right before the leak started. I didn't even call the serviceman.... I went shopping for a new one.
in message

Hi,
About the only part filled with oil is the transmission/gearbox....see oil on the floor = new tranny time.

Some washers have a belt, some have a drive coupler....both styles still have a tranny/gearbox for the agitation.
Not to put too fine a point to it, but are you suggesting that it isn't worth it to fix? (even if I do it myself?)
Ian

floor.
to a

to a

Hi,
I don't know whom the question was directed to....but a long as the washing machine part is available and the rest of the washer is still is good shape ( no major rusting, ect ) it is -probably- still cheaper to repair the washer than it is to replace it with a new washer. No model# has been posted so we don't know which style of a GE washer it is yet....
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-os-wash.html GE older style. http://www.applianceaid.com/genew2.html GE newer style.
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+getransmission.html
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+newstylgetra.html
Probably best to replace the belt at the same time as it will be covered with oil.
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+gewasherbelt.html
Ours did the same thing 6 months ago. Sears Service Tech friend recommended buying a new one as repair would cost more than 10 year old washer was worth.
Walt Conner