Oil-Gas mix question

Page 2 of 2

They also make this sort of device in a syringe configuration. Pretty nifty gadgets>
If they changed lawnboy to 50-1 its the same reason all manufacturers are trying it, to reduce pollution to apease the EPA to forestall banning of 2 strokes. This was undertaken in Ca becuse of their strict pollution rules. Mine is 32-1 , there has been no new engine design adopted to warrant a change, its pollution based-biased.
Evinrude years ago went to a leaner mix recommendation, then withdrew it after commercial failures by the Coast Guard. So use a leaner mix, and lean out engine life, didn`t you know there is no crankcase full of oil in a 2 stroke. High heat, high RPM and you stretch the saftey limit with less oil. You have a motor that could last 1-2000hrs, what do they care if they reduce it to 500. The average mower may only put on 250-500 in 10 yrs anyway. Then they figure you buy another one, and they made the EPA happy the 2 stroke can pollute less. 32-1 synthetic is best for long life in a lawnboy.
If you foul up, tune it and use a hotter plug. Lawnbows are knows for ignitions getting weak after 5 yrs, you need a new coil-ignition pack if thats the case, a weak spark does cause fouling.

Could be. I have a small bottle of Homelite oil that says to add to 1 gallon of gas for a 16:1 mix. It was my son's and I have no idea what machine it was for.
Something rather old, I'd think.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I had a Brtish Seagull outboard years ago that called for a 10 to one mix. I have right now a "Neptune Mighty Mite" (2 hp!) from around 1960 that specifies a 16:1 mix. There have been a lot of improvements in oil in 50-75 years that are largely responsible for the 50:1 ratio becoming so common. There has been some improvement in engine technology also.
While there is little disagreement that modern oils allow an increase in the ratio of gas to oil used in older engines, quantifying it is a little more difficult. One recommendation I have seen suggested that for the older engines, doubling the gas:oil ration up to a max of 50:1 would be OK. Seems reasonable to me and in any event implies that rocket-science precision is unnecessary. Personally I stay close to the original manufacturers spec regardless of the oil type, but I don't spend a lot of time making sure it's 'exact'
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

32-1 plugs exhaust ports!, thats the dumbest thing ive heard. I guess Lawnboy-OEM know nothing about about 2 stroke boat and lawnmower engines. You better tell them Steve, they need to know they have been doing it all wrong for 50 years, and of course an improperly tuned or operated motor would not affect burning and engine temps.
If you'll notice, they changed the lawnboys to 50:1. We did tell them and they did change it. Thanks for the input.
--
Steve Barker

"m Ransley" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message

Chain saw most likely. Mine still uses that mix. Except for the CS I use the same mix in all the others.
That poulan saw is now about 25 years old.
Colbyt

Of course, you can't add fuel until you've run the thing completely dry, or you screw up the oil-mix....