Oil Furnace relay problem

First let me apologize if this has been covered I searched and could not firnd a similar post.

I have an oil furnace with an indirect water heater attached. My water

heater recently went bad and I called a plumber to replace it, and while he was there tuneup my furnace. The next morning I had no heat, the plumber was away and did not have an emergency contact, so after six hours of waiting for a call-back I called my oil company to service

the furnace. The tech determined no spark and a bad ignotor. After replacing the ignitor still no spark, bad relay? After replacing the relay everything worked.

I have two questions. 1. Could something the original plumber have done have caused the bad relay / ignitor. I know nothing he did is directly related to the relay but has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

  1. Who is responsible? The original plumber, or me, or is it a shared

responsibility?

Reply to
John Jones

First off, boilers heat water and furnaces heat air. It is entirely possible that while the plumber was tuning the burner, something came loose on the primary relay as there are a pile of wires spliced in the relay box, however the relay itself is usually a self contained sealed box. If the "tech" had no high voltage spark, he should have worked backwards to determine why. I'm not inferring he didn't do this. Your post could be interpreted as the tech was replacing parts until he found the correct one, but it's entirely possible that several things were just worn out.

Reply to
RBM

you were faced with a repair problem and you pursued it to make your home whole again. your responsibility in the future might be to ask for the old parts so you can test them to put your mind at ease. perhaps you may feel that the price you paid for service calls could have been less expensively overcome. in the case of loss of primary heat, the kitchen stove may provide temporary warmth when shopping around for a repairman. but it's difficult to justify having two working water heaters with the second just standing by awaiting breakdown of the first. if you are happy read no further.

if you need to accept the blame, the contributing factors to failure might be damp environment or electrical surges. expecting relays and parts to last forever is wishful thinking.

i was sad when the water main gate valve failed closed during a faucet repair upstairs. $150 worth of a good plumber and a new ball valve later i found that my original gate valve i had installed personally had lasted only 25 years. :)

Reply to
buffalobill

My setup is very similar, and my relay board went bad last night. Was a bad solder joint, and was the kind of thing where just touching the dang relay box could have been enough to make it stop working, anytime.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148A

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp