oil furnace

I have noticed that smell of oil is present lately, noticed oil in dehumidifier, had service man in who changed nossile only. Any Idea what the problem is?
If you smell acual heating oil smell (same as diesel smell) then it could be that you have some small leak in either your heating oil line from the tank to the furnace, the tank itself or elsewhere. This is potentially very serious as large oil spills can be a very big headache to clean up, and heaing oil smell lingers for a long time unlike a produt like gasoline which evaporates quickly.
If the smell is really more of a oily smoke smell, then you should definitely have your furnace cleaned. I had a furnace once that needed cleaning badly and it put out a diesely/smoky smell each time it fired up. It was not real pleasant....
Good luck,
Rob NE PA
Stan Borthwick wrote:

Can be tough...my mother's furnace had the oil smell, and it took the "experts" 4 trips to track it down and fix it.

Stan:
SB> I have noticed that smell of oil is present lately, noticed oil in SB> dehumidifier, had service man in who changed nossile only. Any Idea SB> what the problem is?
My guess is when the nozzle was replaced it wasn't replaced quite correctly. I would call them back to correct the problem; you have a potential fire on your hands.
(Years ago my parents' oil burner had a problem - don't recall what the cause was but no heat. Repair service fixed the problem and called the fire department out before turning it on. Fire dep't gets there on standby; turn furnace on - oil-fed flames licking the basement ceiling. Fire department about to spray things down when the flames died on their own.)
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* A dog who attends a flea circus most likely will steal the whole show.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971