Oil Furance Fiasco

Update:

A friend of mine who's experienced with oil furnaces advised me to bu a new furnace unless the unit is less than 10yrs old, in which case should replace the combustion chamber. He doesn't work in Connecticut so other than advice over the phone he can't help me any further. I'v decided to replace the unit, which is a Heil NUOD084EF01. I'm not sur exactly how old it is, but it looks more than ten years old to me. So called a distributor and he told me the replacement model for this uni is NOMF105 and he sells them for about $1300. I'm having troubl getting prices from any of the others I've called though. They jus give me the "we can't tell you the price unless you are a contractor bull****. Nice little monopoly if you ask me.

So, I was wondering what I should expect to purchase one and have i installed? It's an easy access location and as far as I know th ductwork will match up to this newer model so the install should not b very complicated. I'd appreciate any advice on what this may cost. am in the central Connecticut area and its getting cold here an everyone's busy. This could not have happened at a worse time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed advice so far, a lot of goo information here

-- Romwar

Reply to
Romwar

Calling a distributor and getting it installed is two different things. Before you buy that "great deal" of a furnace you may wish to call a few companies and see if they are willing to install a furnace for labor only that you already purchased. Be prepared. Most wont do it. If they do, you will usually find some non busy out of work hack to do it. Once it is installed you will most likely get no warranty out of the installing guy. You see, by purchasing it yourself, you have just cut out some of the profit to the installing company. Less profit means you will get less of something. In this case, it will be less warranty. Weight your decisions before you hand out the cash on what you think might be a good deal. And just for good measure because Im feeling so generous, you might want to make sure that the installing guy HAS and knows how to use some digital combustion efficiency tools. If he tells you he is going to "eyeball" it, "RUN FOREST, RUN!" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bullshit? Nope..the law , is the law. Most states require for a reason that fuel burning appliances such as a furnace be installed by a licenced and insured contractor. After you buy the furnace, are you going to spend the $1900 on the combustion tester for the unit? How about the $250 for the cheap fuel pressure tester? You know about combustion air, nozzle sizing, spray patterns, and such right? You know that the nozzle IN the unit, might not be the nozzle YOU need for your application...might be why you have a damaged unit now.

It depends. I have done some smaller units for under $1000 for people that cant afford more. I have put in a few larger units for over $5,000..depends. What you see as easy might be a ductwork modification nightmare.And for the record, it is a rare day indeed when the old duct matches the new unit.

Reply to
steve