Oil fired heating reboot

Hi,
Ran out of oil (again) in our kerosine based heating system last week, I ran the oil through last time with a builder pal of mine and intend to do the same again but wondered if there is anything I need to know or it there is a guide anywhere?
Basically we undid the oil filter a bit to see if oil was getting to that and then waited a while trying the reset switch on the burner every 15 mins, eventually it caught and was fine.
Thanks

Yeah, you need to learn to stop running the heating system empty. It needs fuel to run. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Ahhh, the internet voice of reason and logic... helpful.
/sarcasm off

There may be a bleeder fitting by the pump. Open it slightly and hit the reset. Keep a wrench on it so you can tighten it as soon as fuel comes out. Of course, keep a can under it and a hose on it into the can.

........and if that doesnt work, just keep pushing and pushing and pushing that button until it lights. Kaboom!