oil change interval

Page 3 of 4
On 9/2/2015 9:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

ahh so normal would be around 17K to 204K?
--
Maggie

110 thousand miles on a '98 would be low mileage for the year.
On 9/2/2015 6:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

'98 Ford Windstar with 3.8L 6cyl engine.
--
Maggie

all it should/could have been - and the 3.8 is one of Ford's poorer motors. That said, it's still a whole lot better than anything "the general" had to offer at the time - and with any maintenance it is often good for close to 200000 miles. That engine suffered from timing cover and intake manifold leads as well as the oil cooler gasket problem - and if ANY antifreeze gets into the oil, stop right there and don't spend another penny on it. Antifreeze takes the bearings of THAT particular engine out in a jiffy - the engine starts to knock and there is NOTHING that can be done about it short of replacing the engine.
What kind of shape is the body in - and where are you located??
On 9/2/2015 7:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Now that you mention it, the overflow container for the antifreeze is dirty like it has had some oil in it at some point, but I haven't actually seen any oil floating in it.

The body is in OK shape. A little worn here or there and a tiny bit of rust showing near the drivers side back.
--
Maggie

On 2015-09-02 8:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

stuff happened.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 00:15:29 -0400, FrozenNorth

under warranty didn't last 50,000 km - when he tried to have it rebuilt good mechanic found the block was out of true and could not even be line bored. Threw it back together and traded it back in to the selling dealer who also did the warranty repair - - -
On 9/2/2015 7:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My 98 Blazer has about 265k miles. I do take it on service calls, not just to work every day.

To put it simply - which means not 100% accurate - cold 5w30 oil acts like cold 5 weight oil, and hot 5w30 oil behaves like hot 30 weight oil. Oil behaves like corn syrup or honey. The colder it gets the thicker it gets.. The warmer it gets the thinner it gets.
The way it is done is using a thin base oil (like SAE5) and adding a viscosity index improver - which is a long chain polymer that curls and uncurls with temperature, thickening the oil as it warms up.
The hot 5w30 is still thinner than cold 5 weight oil - just not as much thinner
On 9/1/2015 8:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A while back I tried putting in some oil that is supposed to plug oil leaks, and it worked for a while. If I tried it again, do you think it'd work, or not help at all?
--
Maggie

On 9/1/2015 11:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

Additives are a crap shoot. May work, may destroy the engine if it plugs the wrong holes. Nothing is better than the right fix. As you've already seen, it is not a permanent fix.
On 9/2/2015 9:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

OK thanks for the info.
--
Maggie

soften the rubber in seals and gaskets - which can effectively stop some leaks - at least for a while. Second time 'round unlikely to be anywhere near as effective. Some additives are really good for some problems. This is one additive that is not much good for anything - in my professional opinion.
On 9/2/2015 6:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ok Thanks for the info!
--
Maggie

use an "oil filter adapter"
On 8/28/2015 8:25 PM, rbowman wrote:

Also, it's usually faster than taking it to a place where they will do a proper oil change with a proper filter.
On 8/28/2015 5:41 PM, Roy wrote:

I think it's a good idea to get under, and write the oil change date on the oil filter, permanant marker. That way you can tell if they did the work, by the color of the oil and the date on the filter.
One friend of mine in South Carolina had one of those oil non-changes. He wasn't pleased.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/29/2015 4:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My uncle had a "forgot to tighten the drain plug" experience. Engine seized up on the way home. He was anything *but* pleased!
On 08/29/2015 09:53 AM, Don Y wrote:

The sneakier version is the 'cross thread the drain plug' one. That makes additional revenue for the parts stores selling the drain plug repair kits.