oil change

Page 3 of 5
On 11/24/2013 3:10 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In MA for a self pay customer the medical doctor must give you the price ahead of time. Total cost may vary if it is determined that some tests may be needed, but they will give you each cost as you go. If you pay at time of service you get 40% discount.
Dentist are not covered under the law, but my daughter manages a practice. She will give you the cost for self pay and estimate co-pay if you have insurance.
Some months back my wife and I got shingles vaccination shots. We paid a co-pay but later were sent a $37 bill for each for the administration of the shot. I sent a letter and the charges were removed.

That's what the IRS does...
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

They sort of do. In any big city there will be a chain of "cheap" supermarkets, a chain or two of "regular" ones, and at least a few upscale ones with high prices that keep the riffraff away so the affluent can shop in peace.

They aren't the same stores charging differently based on income. It could be argued that the difference is service.

There are stores that _stock_ differently based on income. A mall in one part of a metropolitan area may have the same anchor stores as a mall in another part of the area, but the stock might be considerably higher end at one location vs. the other.
I have heard them referred to as "A" stores and "B" stores but I don't know if that's an official term.
There are certainly different prices at different stores within the same chain, even within a few blocks of each other, but it's usually not directly related to income. The cost of doing business and nearby competition can impact pricing even within the same chain.
http://tinyurl.com/Store-prices
(Original link to St. Louis Dispatch article too long to post)
One could argue that higher income locations will warrant higher store rents and therefore higher prices. While not directly related to income, it could be an underlying cause in some cases, but definitely not all, as mentioned in the article.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 04:08:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Sure, they cater to different clientele. Does every restaurant sell the same food? Does ever car dealer sell the same cars?

Never heard that, though it doesn't surprise me.

Haven't seen that, either, but cost is a good reason for price to be different (though it's not always true).

That's still not anywhere close to the point.

...snip....

Every restaurant? No, but all restaurants in the same chain will, at least within the same general geographic area.
When I said "anchor stores" I was talking about the same store, e.g. JCPenny at one mall and JCPenny at another. Macy's at one mall and Macy's at another. Malls that are less then 15 miles apart. They will carry different items based on the location and the people living in those locations definitely have different income levels. I'm pretty sure that the Applebee's at each mall will have the same menus with the same prices. I'm pretty sure that the Chevy dealers down the block from each mall will sell the same cars.

I wasn't trying to make a point. I was just trying to make conversation.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:47:05 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

But of course. Macy's is selling service. Walmart, too, in its own way. In reality, that's all any store has to "sell".

You jumped into the middle.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:20:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

That makes no sense. Stores that sell "product" obviously need to have some level of service but they are not selling a "service", they are selling a product. Surely you wouldn't go shopping for a TV at a place that has GREAT SERVICE but no stock of TVs, only demo's on the Floor to look at.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Hi, Service implies knowledge. If the store doesn't have expertise on what they sell, what kinda service is there? After we retired from our regular career job we started small retail store which thrived and grew to 4 locations covering whole city. Our price was higher than most stores in same business. But number of customers grew and grew to a point of affecting level of services. We could not properly train staff. Now we are down to one store near our home. Customers who used to come to our closed stores flock to this last one staying open. Many times we asked why they're coming down from the other end of town and mentioned our higher price. Their answer? "Because your service, knowledge, honesty and trust plus product quality" It is a proven fact price is not priority one in retail business. I never saw a store doing well with cut throat low price. Also price oriented customer is never a good customer, based on 20 odd years running our store.

So you are selling BOTH service and product. My point was when people want product you must have product. The claim that all that's being sold is the service (that's all any store has to "sell".) just makes no sense.
On 11/26/2013 8:06 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Don't be so literal. ANY store can sell product, but what makes the best stores stand out is the service. Yes, he is selling service.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Hi, Of course. Say when you are shopping for a new TV and ask the sales guy or gal what is audio return channel(commonly called ARC} when hooking up HT system. If (s)he can't explain what is ARC, would you feel good? What if they don't know the difference between HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 cable?

The flip side of that is that if I do know that stuff why would I pay more at the store with sales people who also know it? There's a market for BOTH kinds of "sales model" but in BOTH cases, what is being sold is the product. If that were not the case you'd have to pay for the service whether you bought anything or not. Clearly there are a lot more people buying big screen TVs at CostCo than at the "we know HDMI inside and out" stores.
On 11/26/2013 07:54 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The success of Wal-Mart contradicts your assertion, but I like your attitude anyway.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 11/26/2013 9:57 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Yesterday, I needed a couple rubber bands. I walked all around Walmart, twice, and could not find the stationary department. I also didn't find any employees to ask. I did get three quart of transmission fluid which I did need. I then checked Dollar Tree, and did not find any rubber bands. I still don't have any rubber bands. After I shovel all the snow the plows left in my driveway, I may go to Office Max.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Every WalMart I've been in has an Office Supply department. Usually not far from the electronics.
On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:17:58 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Surprised a good Christian would even set foot in Walmart, a den of thieves that underpays their help so badly that they have to go on food stamps -- which you and I pay for with our taxes.
WWJT?
HB

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:57:39 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

You still ragging on Walmart, old bag? Get a life. Walmart is a boon to the poor. You lefties have no compassion at all.

in Walmart, a den of thieves that underpays their help so badly that they have to go on food stamps -- which you and I pay for with our taxes.

Wouldn't lefties want everyone on food stamps? OTOH, Walmart is an easily attacked example of success. Now, that gives me more to consider.
--
.
Christopher A. Young