oil change

Page 1 of 5
I recently got a new 2014 dodge caravan and it`s now ready for it`s first oil change. I would like to do it myself but don1t know where the drain and filter are. thanks for any help===herb

page 14 of the manual.
On 11/22/2013 1:04 PM, herb white wrote:

If you can't see them and don' tknow where to find the information, I do have a suggestion. Take it to a reputable shop and pay to have them do it. Safer, easier, keeps your hands clean.
Last change I did was my '91 Buick Regal. What a PITA to get tot he filter. Worth the $20 to let a shop do it on the lift.
Ed Pawlowski;3153333 Wrote:

I agree with Ed P, but with a twist...
Go to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and buy the oil and filter you need for your car. Then go to any of these quick oil change places, and most of them will change your oil for $20 if you provide the oil and filter.
I changed the oil in my own car for decades, but as I get older, I find the $20 it costs me once every 3 or 4 months just isn't worth the hassle of having to crawl under the car and clean up everything with solvent after wards and having to wait till it gets dark and dumping my old oil in the river, and all of that hassle.
If you still want to do it yourself, the oil drain plug SHOULD be at the bottom of the oil pan which is located directly under the engine.
The oil filter could be anywhere on the engine. Nowadays it's often inaccessable from above and you have to get at it from below, and that generally means raising the car on a hoise to have good access to it.
--
nestork

On Friday, November 22, 2013 3:29:51 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

Never get under a car supported only by a jack. If you don't have access to a hoist, they sell small metal ramps that you can drive your front wheels up to get enough clearance. Or use jack stands.
On 11-22-2013, 16:28, Pavel314 wrote:

I just would park the car straddling the ditch behind my house.
--
Wes Groleau

“In the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical

On many vehicles of recent manufacture it isn't even mounted on the engine.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
On 11/22/2013 3:29 PM, nestork wrote:

Why would you take your own oil and filter to an oil change place? You are then paying double (if they will even use your oil and filter).
I can get my oil changed at a Havoline xpress lube for $22.00 (taxes included) or I can buy 5 qts of oil and a filter for $22.00 plus tax and do it myself. Unless the price of oil drops drastically my days of doing my own oil changes are over.

That happened some 30 years ago, for me. Too much bother for no gain whatsoever.
On 11/24/2013 10:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

30 years ago? In 1983 I could change my own oil for about $5.00. Thinking back that far I believe getting it changed was around $12.00 or more.
For some reason the price of getting your oil changed has dropped in the past 2-3 years. It used to be $25.00-$30.00, and it was still cheaper to do it yourself. Now that oil is $3.25 + a qt plus the filter, it's cheaper to have it done.

Buck or a bit more per quart, times five plus a $5 filter was ten or eleven bucks. I could get it changed for fifteen. $20, as late as 2006. Then I have to do something with the used oil. Yep, too much bother for *no* gain.

Oil changes have been a loss-leader for ages.
On 11/24/2013 07:41 PM, Ron wrote:

If your vehicle requires a special oil - RTFM.
http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/
page 599-600.
API certified, 5W20 or 5W30, meets Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
The last is the kicker; most quick change places won't bother to find out whether their bulk oil will meet that spec or not; they don't make *any* money on a $20 oil change to begin with, as you know as well as I do that you can't do an oil change on anything yourself for much less than that, and any savings that the shop has by buying materials in bulk is promptly eaten up and then some by simply paying a guy to do the work. Now using a non-spec-compliant oil is probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things if they're using a quality, name-brand oil, but if you have a warranty issue with engine internals and Mother MoPar can prove that you didn't use a MS-6395 certified oil, well... you know.
Now one place that I know of uses Valvoline, and it looks like all the oils they carry meet MS-6395 (but if you use conventional, the 5W20 does NOT meet the Chrysler spec - only the 5W30 does. So to remain in compliance you'd need to know that.)
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/premium_conventional.pdf http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/durablend.pdf
It gets worse if you have a newer GM vehicle requiring Dexos 1 or Dexos 2... and pretty much all the Euro mfgrs. require full synthetic now. If you find anyone that will do one of those oil changes for $20, send me their contact info before they go out of business (which they will soon.)

That's true; see above. The whole point of a $20 oil change is for them to get your vehicle up on a lift and try to upsell you on something. That can be good or bad; good if they really do a thorough vehicle inspection and find something you legitimately need and of which you weren't aware; bad and annoying if they just automatically start pushing fuel system cleaners and the like.
The good news is that you might want to bring your own filter (although probably not necessary *unless* your quick lube place uses Fram, in which case I definitely *would*) but it looks like all the various grades of Havoline *do* meet MS-6395.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId10594&docFormat=PDF
Finally, you may want to see what your local dealer's prices for an oil change are. I was pleasantly surprised when I asked about a BMW oil change; they have some surprisingly competitive prices on things like oil changes and brake jobs, their waiting room is nicer than the quick-lube places and the coffee is better too, and then you have an iron clad service history if you have a warranty issue or need to sell the vehicle. Even if they're a little higher than the quick lube place, they may be less expensive than buying your own materials and paying the quick lube guy to change the oil for you.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

69 posts and no one busted your balls yet?
On 11/27/2013 12:36 PM, Thomas wrote:

it gets dark and dumping my old oil in

That's totally amazing. Someone like me ought have caught on that. Guess not?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'll bet a lot of us caught it and ignored it. I did because I didn't it believe it to be true.
Same for the response that was related to straddling a creek with the vehicle and draining directly into the water.

I reserve comment. :-)
On 11/27/2013 3:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've seen college kids drain into a garbage bag, and drag that to a storm drain to dump. I thought that was outrageous.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, November 22, 2013 1:04:59 PM UTC-5, herb white wrote:

oil change. I would like to do it myself but don1t know where the drain an d filter are. thanks for any help===herb
It's good to know how to do things like that for yourself. I did my own oil changes for years until I got too old and fat to get under the car. Do you have any friends who change their own oil? If so, ask one of them to show you how it's done the first time. I haven't had a Dodge for a long time but back in the 60's their engines were hard to work on; stuff was inconvenien tly placed.
Paul
On 11/22/2013 12:27 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

Yes it is, and it's also a good time to poke around at other things that might need to be repaired, and generally become acquainted with your vehicle.
Jon
On 11/22/2013 10:04 AM, herb white wrote:

Wow! How much driving do you do? We bought a 2013 VW Jetta TDI at the end of Sept. The first oil change is one year or 10,000 miles, which ever comes first.
What is the schedule for the Caravan?
Paul