oil change

I recently got a new 2014 dodge caravan and it`s now ready for it`s first oil change. I would like to do it myself but don1t know where the drain and filter are. thanks for any help===herb

Reply to
herb white

page 14 of the manual.

Reply to
RobertMacy

If you can't see them and don' tknow where to find the information, I do have a suggestion. Take it to a reputable shop and pay to have them do it. Safer, easier, keeps your hands clean.

Last change I did was my '91 Buick Regal. What a PITA to get tot he filter. Worth the $20 to let a shop do it on the lift.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

oil change. I would like to do it myself but don1t know where the drain an d filter are. thanks for any help===herb

It's good to know how to do things like that for yourself. I did my own oil changes for years until I got too old and fat to get under the car. Do you have any friends who change their own oil? If so, ask one of them to show you how it's done the first time. I haven't had a Dodge for a long time but back in the 60's their engines were hard to work on; stuff was inconvenien tly placed.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I agree with Ed P, but with a twist...

Go to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and buy the oil and filter you need for your car. Then go to any of these quick oil change places, and most of them will change your oil for $20 if you provide the oil and filter.

I changed the oil in my own car for decades, but as I get older, I find the $20 it costs me once every 3 or 4 months just isn't worth the hassle of having to crawl under the car and clean up everything with solvent after wards and having to wait till it gets dark and dumping my old oil in the river, and all of that hassle.

If you still want to do it yourself, the oil drain plug SHOULD be at the bottom of the oil pan which is located directly under the engine.

The oil filter could be anywhere on the engine. Nowadays it's often inaccessable from above and you have to get at it from below, and that generally means raising the car on a hoise to have good access to it.

Reply to
nestork

Never get under a car supported only by a jack. If you don't have access to a hoist, they sell small metal ramps that you can drive your front wheels up to get enough clearance. Or use jack stands.

Reply to
Pavel314

Wow! How much driving do you do? We bought a 2013 VW Jetta TDI at the end of Sept. The first oil change is one year or 10,000 miles, which ever comes first.

What is the schedule for the Caravan?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Yes it is, and it's also a good time to poke around at other things that might need to be repaired, and generally become acquainted with your vehicle.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

herb white wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You never thought of looking in the Owner's Manual? Oil-change instructions are usually given in there.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger,

Oil change instructions are not usually found in an owner's manual. Checking the oil is discussed but changing it is not. What car do you have?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

On many vehicles of recent manufacture it isn't even mounted on the engine.

Reply to
Larry W

Yep, right you are. On Page 609 of the 2014 Grand Caravan owner's manual, there's a section entitled "Change Engine Oil" with some very detailed instructions.

I quote:

Change Engine Oil

The Oil Change Indicator system will remind you that it's time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

DerbyDad03

Hi, If OP has to ask about it, better not do it himself I don't do it, I don't want to take care of used oil and filter,etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Right. After changing oil, reminder has to be reset. Does it tell how?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"David L. Martel" wrote in news:l6ouj2$ql2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Just flipped through the Owner's Manual for our freshly-bought (this week)

2013 Toyota RAV-4, and you're right. The Manual tells me how to jack up the vehicle, and what to do with used filters, but makes no mention at all of how to change the oil amd filter.

So I counter with a Google Search:

I wonder why the OP wouldn't have thought of that before posting.

Reply to
Tegger

Hi, Being lazy or to save time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I guess we could ask you the same thing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you are unable to recognize them, perhaps tampering with them would be unwise.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I just would park the car straddling the ditch behind my house.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Wondered if this would come up in thread. Happened to a friend of mine who changed his own oil but indicator came up. He had to ask the dealer how to reset it. It was not intuitive and probably built into the cars computer system.

Also, as note to op or anyone else, if you do your own work, keep a log and receipts in case you need warranty work which could be rejected if proper maintenance schedule was not kept to.

Reply to
Frank